New RPTV Questions.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Paul.H, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Paul.H

Paul.H Auditioning

I just bought a Toshiba 57hx83. I have read the burn in thread, but I have a couple general setting questions. By default the movie settings on my TV is Contrast,Sharpness, Brightness, and Color all set to 50. Is this too high? Do I risk burn in? I looks good at this setting. Also black bars sometimes with other varied use, ie full screen doesn't really risk burn in? Thanks alot. Great website!! Paul

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Paul,

Depending on the mfg, a contrast setting of 50 or less is going to help minimize risk of burn-in. On some of the brighter sets a setting of 30-40% is safer.

If you think it looks good at the default Movie setting, I strongly recommend you get a copy of the AVIA or Video Essentials calibration dvds and use them to adjust all the settings on your tv. It will look even better.

The key to preventing burn-in as you've already figured out, is varying the display format and using stretch or zoom modes for non-critical 4/3 viewing (morning news, for example) rather than the graybar mode.

I've used rptvs to display lots of widescreen movies over the last 4 years, with black bars on most even on my widescreen set due to the 2:35 aspect ratio of many movies and have never had a burn-in problem.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

What steve said pretty much. Different brands and models will vary as to what is safe, etc. I am unfamiliar with this one, so I don't know. However, I strongly recommend you get Avia/DVE and calibrate, as it will make your video far superior.

Also, read through the Master Burn-in thread at the top of this forum. This is the kind of post that belongs in that thread. I'm sure if you read back you'll get a good feeling about what may pose some burn-in problems.

4. Paul.H

Paul.H Auditioning

Thanks for your responses guys. I do have the calibration disk from Best Buy made by Ovation software, the company that makes Avia. We used it and lowered some of the settings below 50, looks great. I wondered if there is anybody with the same model as mine or with a Toshiba RPTV who has calibrated, and what their settings are, just curious. Thanks again. Paul

5. Massimo N

Massimo N Stunt Coordinator

I used to own the 57HX81 (I now own a projector) and while I cannot remember all of the setting on the TV here are some of the areas that you should pay attention to.

Contrast: I set mine at about 40

Brightness: This is actually the black level. This setting does not contribute to burn in. You can adjust this higher without risk (if you desire such a picture). Personally, I will keep the black level calibrated with AVIA or DVE (Digital Video Essentials).

SVM: There should be an option on your TV to turn this off. Turn this off. SVM introduces additional "ringing" or "edge enhancements" that distort the true picture.

Sharpness: I believe I had mine at between 30-40. There was a point on my TV where sharpness below a certain point actually blurred the picture. If you have a sharpness pattern (or resolution pattern) use the pattern to eliminate any artificial rings without softening the picture or lowering the resolution.

Colour Temp: This is really specific to each model. On my set, I found that the WARM colour temp was actually too warm (red), and NORMAL was closer to 6500k. If you don't know how to calibrate colour temp, I would choose NORMAL if WARM looks too red.

Colour/Tint: Again use your calibration disk and the provided filters for setting this.

I would also do a 56 point convergence on the set after you've had it for a couple of months. On my model I had to go into the service menu to do this ... I'm not sure on the newer models. Convergence will normally settle down after about 100 hours of use.

Remember that on your set, each input has it's own settings. I'd calibrate each used input on the TV, or at a minimum, copy the settings to each input.

Cheers!
    Mass