What's new

New rptv: out of alignment? (1 Viewer)

Leo A. Chimo

Agent
I just posted to the general HT area, but know I'm thinking I may have an actual problem with my new Sony KP-43HT20 43" High Scan projection tv.
I was running the "Video Essentials" DVD, and think my tv may be out of alignment. I was viewing the test pattern that has a large circle with a crosshair (and letters inside of it), which also has lines with numbers from 20 - 0 (left,r,up,dn, diag). The top line reaches the top of the screen at 5, the bottom a little short of 5, and left & right at five. Should they go all the way to 0? If I use the zoom function on my DVD player, I can see the entire test pattern. Is my tv screwed up? I have tried 2 different DVD players, exact same result.
Chimo

Leo A. Chimo

Agent
After searching through some additional posts, I think what I am trying to describe is overscan. From what I read, 5% is the norm; which brings me back to what started this..
I bought a new progressive scan dvd player which can zoom in and out. While I was watching a movie, I zoomed out one step, and noticed that there was an additional inch or two of movie which was not being displayed on the left and right of the screen (in normal mode). This happens regardless of the 4:3 or 16:9 dvd settings. Is this normal?

Leo A. Chimo

Agent
All-
I found this describing overscan. Does this mean that the additional video I found on the sides was not intended to be seen? Does anyone have a problem with that, or is it just me?
Briefly, the overscan test pattern describes the active picture are of the video signal itself. Most display devices do not display all of the active picture area. They scan the video signal active picture area out beyond the edges of the displayed area on the TV set. This test pattern gives you the ability to determine by what percent they are over scanning the picture. In program production we assume that your home set will be overscanned by 5% on each side (including top and bottom). That area is known as Safe Action. Any action a producer would like to have you see is placed inside this area. A loss of 10% on each side is known as Safe Title. This is the maximum amount we anticipate your set being overscanned. Any titles we would like to make sure you see are fit inside this area. The versions of the pattern that have Safe Action and Safe Title clearly marked are at the beginning of Title 15.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks