New RPTV, fuzzies problems....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kris White, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Kris White

Kris White Auditioning

I just got my new Toshiba 57 inch Tv Model: 57H81 On my DVDs I have it set to 16:9 aspect ratio and have it on the Full Screen setting. As far as picture size and my audio (I have a very decent surround sound system) everything is supreme. My only problem is I am seeing some fuzzies on objects in movies that I wouldnt expect to be there. Should I be expecting Crystal Clear movies? My DVD player is the Panasonic RP56 Progressive Scan player, brand new also. If anyone has any information regarding to this I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Kris,

This is a tough question- I think you'll need to be more specific on what you're seeing.

-Vince

3. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Chris, I got a 50H81 on March 11. One thing to mention is a break in period..this is definately true for RPTV's...in a week, you'll see a clearer picture, in 2 weeks, clearer still.

I'm assuming you've converged it...?

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Is everything fuzzy? The TV might not be focused correctly. There are both electronic focus (beam spot size) and optical focus (lenses). The AVIA or Video Essentials test disk comes in handy.
    If the convergence is off, things will definitely appear less sharp. CRT projection TV is notorious for bad convergence and it is not unusual for convergence to change during the first half hour as the set warms up. Calibrating is therefore usually done after the set has been on for awhile and if you don't want to live with bad convergence, you have to turn on the TV half an hour before you are going to start watching.
    In the movies, as with any photography, it is rare for both the subject and the background to be in focus at the same time, for artistic reasons and also to keep your attention on the subject, the background is usually out of focus when there is foreground action.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm