1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

New Roughnecks adventures-Klendathu & Homefront Campaigns released

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen_L, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Stephen_L

Stephen_L Supporting Actor

Two new DVDs of "Roughnecks:Starship Troopers Chronicles" have been released and they are terrific. "Klendathu" and "Homefront" include many of the best, most emotionally effective episodes of the series. Like their last two releases, Sony has included two commentary tracks on each DVD: one for directors, and voice actors, the other for the CGI animators. I've loved this series since I awoke early every morning to catch it on my local Baltimore station and with a little luck we'll get the whole thing on DVD.

2. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

Here is an off topic question.. does the "Roughnecks:Starship Troopers Chronicles" pick up after the movie? or is it before the movie?

thanks!

jim

3. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

Its actually in lieu of the movie. The animated series is closer to Heinlien's book than the movie. Things like jump suits are in the animated series, and out in the movie, and some of the characters are handled differently.
    Todd

4. Stephen_L

Stephen_L Supporting Actor

The series makes a compromise between the book and the film. The tone of the series, along with the Skinnies, drop suits, powersuits and Marauders are lifted from the book. The female character of Dizzy, the love triangle of Rico, Dizzy and Carmen, the psychic abilities of Carl are lifted from the film. The CGI series is a completely separate retelling of the exploits of Johnny Rico and Razak's Roughnecks. It does not have the jokey, black-comedy, satirical tone of the film (which I found obvious and not terribly enjoyable). Don't buy the DVDs if your looking for a similar story to Verhoeven's film. That said, I found the series a much more sophisticated telling of the First Interstellar War, with better scifi tech and more interesting characters.