New Rotel Receiver - Model 1055

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil A, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Replacing the 972. Will be in the case style of the 1065 with similar amps as are in the 972 and about the size of the 972. It will have the latest software and one nice feature that the 1065 does not have, assignable amps. So that it you require more power, the 5 very nicely powered amps can be assigned - i.e. - for center and all rears included 2 for 7.1 and then you can put another amp on the front channels.

2. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Second Unit

Hi Phil,

do you know, when it will be available, and at what price?

Hartwig

3. Daniel Lindgren

Daniel Lindgren Stunt Coordinator

Hello.

Any info about video switching, especially component video switching abilities?

A release date would be nice, I'm in the market for a good receiver. The current Rotel RSX 1065 has it alll - except good video switching.

BR
    Daniel Lindgren

4. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

the rsx1055 is in the rotel site. it is still not posted in their current product line but you can download the owner's manual from the resource center. It is similar to the rsx1065 but only rated at 75watts per channel. there are preamp outputs but no assignable power amp input as in the harman kardon receivers (avr510 or higher).

5. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

6. Daniel Lindgren

Thanks for the info about the manual.

Unfortunately, if the specs are correct, there is still only basic video switching capabilities (freq range 3 Hz-10 MHz). Too bad ... but if the price is right it might be interesting anyway.

It looks like it's a 1065 with less power.

BR
    Daniel Lindgren

7. Craig_Kg

I can't find any mention of the analog mode to see if it is DSP bypassed, either .

8. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    The info I got is from preliminary info my dealer had. My understanding it will be $1,300 list and I'm not sure of exact timing but I thought he said it is just about ready for dealers to order. So I would guess 3-6 weeks before they show up in stores.

9. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Second Unit

Let me see if I understand correctly: As far as I can see identical functions of the RSP 1066 prepro, plus a tuner, plus 5 amps, and that for 200$ less? I think I will postpone buying the 1066 a bit and look closer at this one...

Craig, the description of 2 channel stereo is the same like in in the RSP 1066, so there seems to be true analogue bypass.

Arial, the manual says, you can assign the front amps to the back centers.

10. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

Look a bit like a bargain. I mean the RSP-1065 receiver here is twice the price of the 1066 preamp!!!

Now the big question - is it available in silver :)

T.

11. HowardGjr

HowardGjr Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] UGGGH...Just when I think I have it figured out.
    All I wanted was adjustable crossovers, solid amplification (60W+ x5 channels), a sound I liked, Dolby Pro-Logic II and a remote my wife could live with.
    My original plan was to go with an (April) Integra DTR 6.3 but it was taking forever to ship (end of June now) and I've heard problems about Onkyo products and rated amplification so I started looking around again.
    I decided to bite off the Outlaw Pre-Pro/Amp combo, but didn't sign up till May. Not sure when I'll get notified, but, I'm betting it's not tommorow. :b
    Got frustrated on the Outlaw Pre-Pro and went out and heard a Rotel RSX-1065. Sounded great but I didn't want to pay 2K for a receiver.
    No worries...I'll step up to the plate with a RSP-1066/RMB-1066 combination. Way expensive for my speakers and I'll need to add a tuner but, I hope to be upgrading the speakers in the next year or so. Oh wait...the 1066 is backordered.
    Today, I see a receiver with the specifications that I was looking for...only it won't be available for 3 to 6 weeks..and that's expressed in manufacturer's time.
    At this rate, I'll be upgrading the speakers before I ever use them in the Home Theater
    Maybe I should have just bought the Bose [​IMG]
    ...Just kidding and excuse the venting.

12. Daniel Lindgren

HowardGjr: I know *exactly* how you feel ... I've been looking for the holy grail of home cinema receivers/amps/pre-pros for a couple of months now.
    Right now I'll probably buy a cheap Yamaha and wait for Rotel/Arcam etc to get their stuff together in HT.
    Just as you think you've made your mind up, someone somewhere has heard of a great new thingy that will rock the world and then some. But it's always three months away ... [​IMG]
    Please excuse my venting too [​IMG]

13. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Howard & Daniel,

Why don't you wait until the All Star game when Outlaw announces their newest product. I'd be willing to bet it's going to be a updated receiver. The game isn't too far off...

Alex

14. Tony Lai

I hope it is possible to run the preouts and 75w x 5 at the same time - might get some bi-amp action going.

btw. 75w of Rotel power is worth 150w of whatever Onkyo, Marantz, Yamaha etc. are selling.

T.

15. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    The great thing about this receiver and I am thinking about something when I get my basement done within the next year is that for a couple hundred less than the 1065 you can get an outboad amp like the Rotel 2x130WPC and have more power considering the fact that the rears are likely to be less demanding than the fronts. The shortcomings of a Rotel design vs. something like a Bryston amp is that with the Bryston or something of similar quality you are getting true mono amps since they don't share power supplies. I've owned Rotel (separates) stuff in the past in my main system and with the other things and the size of the room it was overwhelmed. Having this feature in the Rotel with the ability to get an outboard amp makes that 75W capability of the onboard amps even more impressive. The thing about other receivers is that they don't rate things as conservative as the Rotel and they will cramp 6 or 7 so-so amps in one chassis and I would rather have the better quality expecially given the size of this unit and I could shove the other amp out of site.

16. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator

17. Craig_Kg

Also, I wish the adjustable crossover was independant for each set of channels like the Sony's

18. Tony Lai

Or maybe Outlaw's triple crossover?

I've kinda worked out that my system and any system I'll have in the future does not require a complex crossover like the Sony.

I'll be using floors for a while and Rotel's BM seems ok.

T.

19. Craig_Kg

Very handy if your speakers are quite different in size for front/rear/center, though.

20. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

When should outlaw have a new reciever? The 1050 is dated. I know features are not everthing, but I mean it really doesn't do a damn thing![​IMG]