What's new

New Roku 4 Device shipping October 21st! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks Mike. Got the LG 3D tv from Value Electronics before they ran out. I'm loving every minute of it too. Bought a ton of 3D movies (including the Toy Story trilogy!) and my family and I are thoroughly enjoying it! Robert Zohn was a great help!
Bob,

Did you get your panel settings straighten out?

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I didn't change anything. Rogue One was the first 3D movie I've ever seen on a tv set and it looked kind of video like, but seems to be the case for all the other 3D movies I've seen so far at least to my eyes. Seems to be a little ghosting at the top but that's due to my tv stand being a tad too high but I can live with that. Watched Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2 in 3D and both looked great! I've played a few Blu-rays and they look film like so I'm really happy with it. So very glad I got this when I did. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
An upgrade from 36" to 65"?! Wow, that screen must look HUGE right now to you, Bob. Don't worry, though, you'll get used to the size very quickly and won't believe you ever watched something so much smaller.

As for satellite versus cable, Mike offers some good advice regarding negotiating with your cable company. Our Comcast cable/internet bill was getting too expensive for what we were getting, too, so last year we threatened to leave -- in our case, AT&T Uverse and Wide Open West cable services are also available. We were able to bundle in our phone service, upgrade our cable service and save over $80 per month, with the price locked in for two years.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Right now, I'm too much of a sports fan to leave DirecTV. I've been with them for almost 25 years. However, if I ever decided to leave Sunday Ticket behind, I might entertain leaving them, but right now, I'm happy with their services and quality of my broadcasts.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We've discussed this before, Robert. I'd leave cable, too, if it wasn't for sports. It's impossible to get all the events we like via legal streaming only. NFL Sunday Ticket is definitely one of DirecTV's biggest draws -- you are not the only person I know who stays with them because of that offering. If DirecTV were to ever lose those exclusive rights, it would severely impact their customer base.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We've discussed this before, Robert. I'd leave cable, too, if it wasn't for sports. It's impossible to get all the events we like via legal streaming only. NFL Sunday Ticket is definitely one of DirecTV's biggest draws -- you are not the only person I know who stays with them because of that offering. If DirecTV were to ever lose those exclusive rights, it would severely impact their customer base.
Also, the thing is AT&T owns DirecTV so now I have my internet, phone service including cell and my TV programming under one company and one bill.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
An upgrade from 36" to 65"?! Wow, that screen must look HUGE right now to you, Bob. Don't worry, though, you'll get used to the size very quickly and won't believe you ever watched something so much smaller.

Actually, I think I could have gone to a 70 or 75 inch maybe but I'm quite happy with the 65-for now. Haha. I'm certainly glad I didn't go with the 55 inch which was what I initially wanted to do fearing the 65 would be too big!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Actually, I think I could have gone to a 70 or 75 inch maybe but I'm quite happy with the 65-for now. Haha. I'm certainly glad I didn't go with the 55 inch which was what I initially wanted to do fearing the 65 would be too big!

Go big or go home! :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As for satellite versus cable, Mike offers some good advice regarding negotiating with your cable company. Our Comcast cable/internet bill was getting too expensive for what we were getting, too, so last year we threatened to leave -- in our case, AT&T Uverse and Wide Open West cable services are also available. We were able to bundle in our phone service, upgrade our cable service and save over $80 per month, with the price locked in for two years.

Every year after the Christmas holidays (which coincides with my annual billing cycle with my company), I go to one of the local storefronts In a local mall) hosted by the company. I just go up to a customer service rep saying that I want to talk about my bill. I tell them I'd like to see if there's any way for me to reduce my monthly bill (inevitably, there has usually been a rate increase during this time). And they are more than willing to pick-apart my bill/services/offerings and figure out what kind of promotions they can give me to lower my costs! Almost each and every time, I walk out of there with a monthly bill smaller than what I was paying before any rate increase! It is one of the most productive things cost-wise I do each year! Imagine going to the mall to save $$$! :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I always tell those that ask my TV advice to go as big as you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks