What's new

New Roku 4 Device shipping October 21st! (1 Viewer)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Patrick Donahue said:
For those who do experience a problem though I've heard the process to return to Roku is a pain, so I would definitely buy from a local store to make a possible return easier...
I can't speak directly to that, but I did have a good experience with their support just recently. I had purchased a refurbished Roku 3 from Fry's ($60) and the remote had a problem. When I pushed the direction pad for a single click right, it would also move down one notch.

I called Roku, after they stepped me through a reset procedure and a firmware upgrade to the remote without resolution, it was confirmed the remote was bad. They said if I wanted to, I could just return it to Fry's or they would send me out a new remote and I didn't have to return the old remote. I elected for a new remote which arrived a few days later.

The process was very simple and straightforward, pretty much like you would hope these things would go. I liked that they didn't force me to return it to the retailer and didn't require the old remote back.

Your mileage may vary.

-Keith

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Can anyone tell me with the new Roku if you have to have a line of sight with the remote or can I move the Roku box away from the line of sight?

P

Patrick Donahue

Towergrove said:
Can anyone tell me with the new Roku if you have to have a line of sight with the remote or can I move the Roku box away from the line of sight?
The remote works over wifi. Roku 3 does, too.

FamilyFunTime

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karen
Joshua Clinard said:
I want the DMA app because, then I can let my children browse and select just Disney movies without them having access to the entire collection. Of course, I don't have children yet, but will in the future. It would be nice if vudu allowed sorting by studio under my movies.

I read somewhere that you can create a CinemaNow account strictly for kids to use when accessing your VUDU movies. You set the desired parental controls for that account and then link it to your VUDU. Any devices that access your VUDU library through the CinemaNow account/APP will do so under the guidelines of the parental controls you set.

We are new to all this stuff but also remember something about the DMA rep saying that you can download their APP to individual devices and set the parental controls for the device at that time. Not likely to need parental controls for Disney but maybe that works on the VUDU app too? If not now, probably by the time you have children...

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. Well now that I have my first UHD 4K TV (Vizio M50-C1 4K, 50"), this might just interest me for this Christmas as Kyrsten's mom asked me what I want from her and the amount I get to ask for. Might be my chance for a Roku 4 pretty cheap.

Got a 4K TV now of course (even if is my secondary bedroom TV), now need 4K material.

I'm new to Roku but I have streamed some HD movies, ones I like not available on Blu-ray.

Now if I could only find a full 4K version of Skatetown USA (1979). That will happen about the time my Cleveland Browns win the Super Bowl after defeating the Jacksonville Jaguars in the AFC Championship Game and the Seattle Seahawks in the big game.

On a side note, I'm still looking for those nifty 4K demo reels that Vizio (and other companies) use in the stores to try on my set.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's a bump of a two year old thread. I guess I got lost on my way to the party...

What I know about streaming would fit into the navel of a flea (with plenty of room to spare!). The only streaming I've ever done is MLB (through on app on my TV).

Some questions.

I'm thinking of the purchase of a Roku 4. It seems to offer more services than any of the other streaming devices.

1.) Any reason to wait? Should we be expecting an announcement soon of a Roku 5?

2,) Amazon has these units today for $89.85. Does that price fluctuate? Do the units go on sale? Or should I probably just pull the trigger there?

3.) I also see certified refurbished units around. Good idea or should I stay away? I've read a lot about how some of the early units had issues with fan construction. Is that still a problem?

I don't have a 4k display yet, but have a 4k player and receiver and have been buying 4k releases of some recent films (as a way of future-proofing for the inevitable purchase of a 4k display).

Feel free to tell me anything you think might be helpful as I look at this new (to me) service/device. There's a great chart on Amazon's product page for the Roku 4 which compares features between it and Rokus 1-3 and the streaming stick.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
We have 4 Roku TV's now and I wouldn't even consider any other system for streaming. Their set up is SO easy to use. Practically foolproof. I think you will be more than happy with any of the upper end models.

Note that one of our Roku TV's is the TCL 4K 55" set and the 4K channel it incorporates is very handy.

http://www.tclusa.com/catalog/archived/55us57

I'd buy new and just know that most local stores will price match Amazon and other places as well.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
The Roku units are now called Premier, Premier +, etc. I believe the new configurations all came out in the fall and they don't go by Roku 3 or Roku 4 anymore. I haven't heard when the next upgrade will be but doubt it will be this year. Just my guess.

Roku is great. We dropped cable and I'll never go back. We have the Premiere +. While it is a little more than the steaming stick, I wanted to be sure of speed plus it's future proofed for 4K which we hope to have soon.

I would buy a new unit. Most models are $10 off right now, either in store or on line. Costco usually has great prices as well but only on the Premiere +.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I have the Premiere+ but find myself using the Sony X800 as my Netflix and Amazon streamer. It does not have HDR Amazon, just UHD, but has UHD Netflix with HDR.

PQ wise the X800 is better than the Roku, plus the Roku launch has been rough with a lot of bugs and I got tired of it. Sony also outputs Amazon and Netflix series in 24hz, not 60hz, and I prefer the look and motion as well.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow. Thanks for all the info, guys.

That would have been tragic if I'd ordered the Roku 4 not realizing that the latest-greatest was the Premiere + ($84.99 on Amazon) or Ultra ($112.24).

The chart on Amazon indicates the only difference between those two units is: Remote finder, gaming buttons, USB port, digital optical audio output, Dolby Audio

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since Mike has the Oppo 203, I would recommend the Premiere+ or if you can afford it the Ultra. I have both units set up with the Ultra in my main HT.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wow. Thanks for all the info, guys.

That would have been tragic if I'd ordered the Roku 4 not realizing that the latest-greatest was the Premiere + ($84.99 on Amazon) or Ultra ($112.24).

The chart on Amazon indicates the only difference between those two units is: Remote finder, gaming buttons, USB port, digital optical audio output, Dolby Audio
Mike,

If you're going to run the Roku through your receiver then do the Premiere +

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have both a Premiere (not the plus) and an Ultra. If you have an older receiver that does not pass 4K video, then the Ultra would be your best option, as you can connect the digital optical output to your receiver for audio and the HDMI directly into your display. If your receiver is 4K HDR capable, then the Premiere+ should be fine. It only has a single HDMI output, though, so it is less flexible if you run into HDMI handshake issues.

The Premiere (not plus) I own was purchased before I started down the 4K path. I needed to upgrade my old Roku 2, which was having some issues with Amazon and NHL.tv, and the Premiere had a faster processor than the new lower end Roku Express models. It supports 4K, but not HDR. When I later bought a 4K display, the Premiere was relocated to our bedroom to replace a Roku XD, which I then moved to the exercise room.

I recently bought a Roku Express for my wife's office/craft room, and it works very well for $30 if you do not need 4K support. Comcast came out with a Xfinity app for Roku which can be used instead of a cable box, so I took $7 per month off my bill by putting the Express in that room to replace the non-HD cable box that was in there -- Comcast raised their monthly fee from $3 to $7 per month for this crappy box in January.

So, we have four different Roku models attached to the four TV's in our house. The only ones that get used regularly, though, are the Ultra in our Family Room / Home Theater room and the Express in my wife's office.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Just went from a 36 inch tube to a 65 in 4k UHD tv. First thing I had to do was upgrade my cable package to get hd channels. Now my family wants me to pay $30 more a month to get some additional channels they want. The upgrade I have now have virtually none of the channels i wanted. Anyway, I'm starting to look into getting an ota anntena and then get a Roku. Looks like it would cost about $50 for all the channels i'd want. Does anyone have have Direct TV Now? I was looking into that because it had all my channels for a little cheaper but reviews complained about it freezing up a lot. Roku was supposed to add it the 1st quarter of 2017.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Congrats, Bob! That's, uh, quite a leap of an upgrade! :eek:

:thumbsup:

I tried to cut my monthly a few years ago and entered into a two year agreement with Dish Network (not Direct TV, but close). To be honest, I couldn't wait to return to my cable provider (Time-Warner at the time, now Spectrum). Better, more reliable service. So, I don't recommend switching to satellite...BUT, I DID get a HUGE deal from my cable company as they welcomed me back into the fold. I got an incredible deal--but I had to enter into a two year agreement with them and send them proof that I was a Dish customer, etc. So going back was a win-win for me.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Thanks Mike. Got the LG 3D tv from Value Electronics before they ran out. I'm loving every minute of it too. Bought a ton of 3D movies (including the Toy Story trilogy!) and my family and I are thoroughly enjoying it! Robert Zohn was a great help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks