What's new

New Rocky DVD Anthology? See POST #191 on UPDATE for those who did not receive bonus disc (1 Viewer)

greg_t

Screenwriter
The original box set had 2 and 4 non-anamaphoric. Apparently at some point, they replaced 4 with an anamaphoric version. My box set, for instance, only has 2 non-anamaphoric.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Here's the info on the new set that's posted on MGM's site:

http://www.mgm.com/title_title.do?ti...ar=XXXROCKYANT

The following is very clearly indicated (twice):

But it does appear as if the extras that were on the SE from a couple of years back are gone. So if you want the ultimate Rocky set, you'll need the new box, plus you'll have to hold on to the SE.

Way to go, MGM. :thumbsdown:

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator
I love how they couldnt even get Stallone to do a commentary for ANY of the discs ...screw em im not buying !
He did a great track on the disc for Copland ! How great would it to be to at least hear a yak track on the first Rocky ? The film that launched him into stardom. Guess they are sore about the lawsuit. Ill keep my non anamorphic discs . F*you MGM !

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
It seems like Stallone's lawsuit with UA, over their handling of the proposed Rocky VI, must have something to do with this boxset's substantial lack of extras. Very disappointing.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
OK, well this set is looking more and more like a dud in a lot of ways. BUT, can someone tell me for sure whether or not Rocky II is anamorphic or not? Also, is there any noticeable improvement in the video/audio quality on any of the discs. I want an anamorphic II, but will NOT be getting this set unless there is substantial improvement in video/audio.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
BestBuy.com and BarnesandNoble.com even have the chapter listing for the bonus disc:

Side #9 -- Biography: Sylvester Stallone - The Rocky Road to the Top
1. Childhood Memories [3:24]
2. Growing Pains [3:35]
3. The Acting Bug Bites [4:45]
4. Ladder of Success [7:27]
5. Mixed Reviews [10:07]
6. Reinvention [10:01]
7. More Than Ordinary [4:15]
8. Credits [:30]

They have a feature listing as well - only a trailer for each movie. As Laurence stated, DTS and DD 5.1 on Rocky, DD 5.1 on the rest.

If you flip between the US Amazon site and the Canadian one, the US site does list the bonus disc, while the Canadian site does not, further confirming Laurence's statement that the Canadian version is missing the disc. Looks like it is a US exclusive. Weird.

Canada
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...696389-3613138

US
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

I checked out the ad for it on the back of the Rocky Legends videogame manual. There is a blurb that says "An All New Gift Set Featuring All Five Films on DVD with New* High-Definition Transfers".

In small print...

" * Except Rocky V"

But, the fact that they point out Rocky V is the same transfer must mean they've done something with the other four films.

Laurence Price

Stunt Coordinator
I am just speculating but, the exclusion of the bonus disc in the Canadian version of the Rocky Anthology box set sounds like it could be a rights issue problem. The bonus disc could also, be a promotion that is exclusive in the United States and has something to do with the U.S biography channel. Either way it looks like Canadians might be getting a raw deal if they purchase this box set compared with the U.S version. Maybe this was just an isolated incident with my box set but, I am a little more than skeptical.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
They had an ad for the set in this week's Entertainment Weekly and the bonus disc is advertised as being "For a Limited Time". I'm guessing MGM must be including this in it's first run in the U.S. I won't be surprised if the disc is in a white paper sleeve stashed in the set somewhere...

John Simon

Second Unit
I'm feeling a mixture of anger towards MGM and embarrasment at my own stupidity. The anger stems from MGM again failing to provide these movies with the treatment they deserve. Alright, maybe Stallone's bad terms with the company prevented them from getting him to provide commentary tracks. But surely they could have produced some kind of documentaries or featurettes from older material. Heck, I'd have been happy with some EPK video. But instead we're again treated with movie-only discs of one of the most-loved film series of all time.

The stupidity stems from having sold my copies of the previous release after I found out this boxset was coming out. So now I find myself having to buy this boxset even though the original film will have even less features than the version I owned. Don't get me wrong, I care as much about A/V quality as anyone, but something tells me these movies won't be as improved over the previous discs as I'd like.

In the end, it just looks like this release is completely motivated by money. I mean, I know that money is all that motivates any DVD release, but at least studios usually have the respect to improve upon a DVD when they release it. Instead, it looks like MGM did the absolute minimum amount possible so that they could justify re-releasing this series (in the case of a few of the movies, the 3rd release on DVD) solely for the purpose of getting a quick buck. At least most re-releases demonstrate some care for the material.

Perhaps TheDigitalBits can add a new category for their annual awards: Most Worthless Re-Release. I'll be happy to nominate The Rocky Anthology as the first "winner" of that award. :thumbsdown:

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I'll definitely hold on to my existing set. I was on the fence about double dipping, considering we've been hearing about commentaries, a bonus disc, etc. But since the set is about as bare bones as the one I already own, I'll definitely pass. The only non-anamorphic film in my set is Rocky II, so it hardly constitutes a re-purchase. However, I'd love for someone to do a comparison of both the picture and audio quality on both sets. The only thing that may sway my decision is if the new set looks leaps and bounds better visually.

BTW, I'm also in Canada so the 6th disc (or lack thereof) also plays a big part in this decision.

James_L

Agent
My set will arrive this week, and it WILL have the bonus DVD and I am in Canada.

I will see if it's better than the old set which I own.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Since my knee surgery back in early October, I've been really trying to watch the dvds in my collection that I haven't seen yet. I've seen the movie but not the dvd. There were about 75 un-viewed dvds in my library. 3 of these were Rocky 1-3.

Finally watched Rocky: 25th Anniversary Special Edition tonight. I've only had this since June 2001! :b

I thought the image was awesome. Really surprised me how good the color was and contrast. I was expecting a flat looking image, but was wrong. Audio was also good too.

This new set will have to be really, really good to upgrade. I hope to watch II & III soon. I realize II is letterboxed and non anamorphic though. The Original Rocky Special Edition dvd looks so good to me-even projected on a 106 inch screen, that I can easily wait for these to be on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray in the future.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I almost bought Rocky II but put it back when I saw it was non-anamorphic. I looked at the computer at work and looked up Rocky II and it shows a new one coming out in February of 2005. Hum....

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
Such a shame. The new set is only $40 this week, so I was really considering selling my old box set for this one, but now I'm having second thoughts.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
If the transfers are better, I will sell off my existing set except for the first film. Looks like that disc has extras not present on the new one. The rest of the films in the first set were already barebones, so if these are barebones, but better a/v quality, then I might pick it up...

BrandonJF

Second Unit
Has anyone opened a set bought in the U.S. yet?

I just got back from Best Buy and the packaging was no different than what Laurence described earlier in the thread - there is no mention of the bonus disc anywhere on it. I would've at least expected them to slap a sticker on there.

Now I have to wonder if it's even in there. It's in all their print ads for this set, so it's really gonna be a shame if they screwed this up.

Jay Gunn

Stunt Coordinator
I looked at the box set yesterday, and mine had a sticker that said, "For A Limited Time Only - Includes Bonus Disc, etc.".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks