New Ring 2 trailer

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Sean Laughter, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

I didn't see this posted, and even though I could have sworn there was a Ring Two topic already I couldn't find it in search. Anyone can feel free to move this or merge it somewhere if it's more appropriate there. Anyway, new trailer:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/dreamw...ring2_lrg.html

2. Frank_Ber

Frank_Ber Agent

Thanks for lettimg me know that there is Ring Two. The first trailer of Ring Two that I have seen.

3. chris winters

chris winters Second Unit

i saw this movie in December. Early screening. I hate to say it, but it is not very strong. Much weaker then the first. they ruin one of the strongest aspects of the first movie, the idea that Samara is pure evil and desires to harm people. She is not victimized, or misunderstood or lonely. She is actually a villian. The sequel attempts to make her sympathetic. Also the little boy over acts much of the time, impersonating Haley Joe from the Sixh Sense, whispering and looking morose. The plot is odd and full of alot more cliches. Overall, a dissapointing effort, much less scary and ordinary. [​IMG] i am a big fan of the first one.

4. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Also, if you take a watch of the Japanese sequel Ring 0, you'll also find a great deal of sympathy and understanding brought to the character of Yamamura Sadako (Samara's Japanese counterpart) as she is nothing but a frightened young girl. Frightened of herself, the power she is unable to control, and her eventual fate. It's not so much a horror film as it is a drama but it's well worth a watch.

5. chris winters

I disagree in regards to Samara. Having Samara actually be a misunderstood child simple "acting out" is much more cliche, in my opinion, and not what the first movie portrayed(american version). It is a horror movie cliche to have Samara be sympathetic and eventually discovered to be a victim herself in the third act. In fact, one of the great things about the American version was it made you think you were heading down this tired road once again, and flipped your expectations out from under you. When Niomi's character reaches out to Samara, trying to help her, she comes to a very rude awakening. Samara is in fact enjoying herself too much and that's exactly what her parents realized early on. Her father didnt believe it until too late, but her mother knew. Samara was evil from the get go. Pure and simple. She killed and tortured everything in her path. The Japenese version may have fallen back on the victimized villian cliche(not sure as I havent seen it), but the American version sure did not. Samara was pure evil in The Ring 1, no saving her or reaching out to her. And thats what made it scary and refreshing. The sequel rewrites that history and takes a much more derivative and cliche ridden path. All in my opinion, of course.

6. chris winters

spoliers for The Ring 2

The main scare set pieces of the Ring 2 involve an attack from some deer on a car, odd and a bit lame. Creative in that its not often seen, but still odd. And a reoccuring theme involving water and a bathtub. Also the reheated climb up the well wall as Samara chases close behind. An awkward cameo by Sissy Spacek as Samara's real mother, and some slowly paced hospital scenes. The tape idea is barely in it. Its abandoned early on.

7. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I like the plot as conveyed by the trailer, but the apparent overuse of flashy fx and shots is kind of a turn off. I loved the Japanese original because of the more "natural" feel of the film, and the American version largely maintained it. Yes, the filtering wasn't exactly natural (but quite effective), and I didn't care for the "video" effect on Samara herself, but hey, it was close enough. This one doesn't give me quite the same vibe. Still, I'm there opening weekend.

As for Samara's character... The Japanese Ringu 2 did a good job of making the viewer feel sympathy for Sadako, while still maintaining her status as a villain. The film is largely nonsensical, but that particular part of the plot was adequately handled, I think. Here's hoping Nakata has done the same, though Chris' review would seem to indicate otherwise.

8. chris winters

sorry, finally got it to work [​IMG] sorry about that if I messed that up for anyone. I hate spoilers myself.

9. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

No problem [​IMG] Thankfully they weren't HUGE spoilers.

10. chris winters

I think it is apparent that The first Ring benefited from being helmed by Gore Verbinski. He turned what should have been a theme park cross marketing disaster into a decent action film with Pirates of the Carribean, and he made a very solid horror remake in The Ring. The Ring 2, unfortunately, destroys any solid momentem for a Ring 3.

11. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

12. Mike~Sileck

Mike~Sileck Supporting Actor

Going to see this tonight with some friends

Chris wanna spoilerize an overview of the movie for me?
    (don't ask, I have this odd fixation with knowing whats gonna happen before it happens)

I leave in a hour...much thanks if you can, if not i'd love to jumpstart a discussion later this evening regarding the film.

Mike

13. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Rented this and watched it last night, i'm a big fan of the original (American re-make), but this one left me dry, despite allthe freakin' water in the film. It put more emphesis on things that were creepy in the first one because they were done in smaller doses. It's the ol' "audiences really dug that, so let's have a lot more of that" syndrome.

The whole water theme grew thin really fast, and I wanted to wring Aiden's depressed little neck everytime he called his mother 'Rachel', it was nothing more than a cheap way of letting us know that he wasn't himself when he finally calls her 'mommy' (hell, Samara had enough respect for her mom to call her 'mom' and she's a psychotic killer!)
    because the filmmakers made it a point to draw attention to the issue in the beginning of the film.

I know that he called her by her name in the first one too, but I didn't like it then, either.

Also, there was something different about Samara, she was not as thin or something and you couldn't see that ghastly face of her's behind her black hair, and yes, making her all about just wanting a mommy just ruined my image of her. She was a beast in the first film! An uncaring little bitch of a ghost that enjoyed what she was doing, and now i'm expected to feel sorry for her?

Nah, didn't care for this one, it almost seemed at times like a semi re-make of Wes Craven's New Nightmare, but nowhere near as good.

14. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

I could have sworn Aiden called her 'Rachel' in the first film too, and I always just thought it was a way of indicating the kind of relationship they had, which wasn't a typical mother/son thing. Maybe you mean it's delivered wrong in this film or approached in the wrong manner in this film - despite having started this topic way back when I have yet to see the film. [​IMG]

15. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

John wouldnt like me.

I could never stand either one of my parents as people or my parents. Just looking at their faces would completely disgust me by the time I was 9. Yes, literally. I absolutely loathed both. I called them by their first names since I could remember. I actually never did it to be disrespectful to begin with. I don't think that was ever the reason. Yeah, seriously, thats true. Just the thought of saying mom or dad absolutely disgusted me and I couldn't bring myself to do it after awhile. It was a physical/mental thing. It would literally cause me headaches and stomach pains. I even developed an ulcer from the stress of saying the words as a young child and needed medication for it. I ran the first chance I got at 14 and never looked back. I was utterly amazed at what happiness and being treated well felt like once I experienced it. :wink:

To be fair, my father was always a useless lowlife. My mother on the other hand was a good woman who just happened to make poor choices from having a terrible life and never being taught anything. I just never naturally liked her. It's like when you meet someone and you don't like them. But, you really cant figure out why? Just poor chemistry right off the bat. She's not a bad person. I know she loves me when it comes down to it really. I just can't stand to be around her so I chose not to be long ago. It's better for both of us. All I would do is fight with her if I saw her because it would remind me of much too much. So, it's just more peaceful to leave it along. That way I barely ever think about it and am much happier overall because I can pretend nothing happened. Two shrinks actually recommended I change my last name to distance from my family because of the strange circumstances. That's exactly what I ended up doing. Out of sight, out of mind.

But, yes. Aiden did call her Rachael in both movies. Though I didn't think she was that bad. It's not as if she didn't love her son. Disattached a little, sure. But, she wasn't a vicious or mean spirited woman. She wasn't that bad. There are much, much worse. So, it might have been a little uncalled for. But, if you don't share that bond, the words would mean absolutely nothing anyways. They are meant to mean something. Anyone can say them. Doesn't mean much if you don't mean them. I called my old boss sir. I would have preferred the term asshole. I waited till I was in a good position and then called him asshole. Right before I became my own boss. I used the boss to get what I needed at the time. That's all it ever was. So, it's just all about playing a game really.

16. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Ryan,
    your circumstances were different, so I can understand perfectly your reasoning.

However in the case of my brother, sister and myself, we were raised to never call our parents by their names, unless of course we were giving their names to someone.

They didn't necessarily tell me to never do that, that I can recall clearly anyway, I just sort of new that I shouldn't, probably because I never heard my older brother and sister call them that and I simply learned by example, and I think I may have called my mom by her name once or twice and gotten chastised for it, my memory on it is hazy now.

As for Aidan and his mom, their relationship seemed like a very close one to me, and it always bugged me when he would call his mom Rachel, it seemed cold on Aidan's part, almost as if he felt no bond with his mother at all, which he obviously does even though he wasn't the deepest kid in the affection department.

He does have a good relationship with his mom in these film's, which makes his strange detachment from her seem all the more out-of-place and off kilter. Or perhaps it's just a phase he's going through, and his mom is simply allowing him go through it because she's understanding in that way.

17. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I caught this last week, too. Not quite as good as the original, but I did appreciate the fact that they didn't just remake the film, nor did they re-tell Ringu 2, which was a plotless mess.

And I was very happy with the explanation given re: Samara.

Her mother says "my baby told me to" when Rachel asks her why she tried to drown baby Samara, which means, to me, that "Samara" is NOT that little girl, but just a malevolent spirit that took hold of that little girl. If the baby could warn her mother in dreams, then the child was in the same situation as Aidan. Why does Samara take on the child's form? Perhaps the evil spirit is bonded to that body, since it was inhabiting it when the girl was killed. All in all, I'm happy with the explanation. Makes sense, and isn't too convoluted. Good on Kruger.

I also loved Rachel exiting the well and finding herself in Samara's "dimension", surrounded by that eerie version of the ranch grounds. However, why didn't she just walk forward and exit through the TV? Yes, the image of her leaping off the cliff had more impact, but it made no sense.

John, the reason for Samara's new appearance is that Daveigh Chase pulled out of the movie at the last minute due to creative differences (I heard she'd been promised a larger part, and further insigehts into Samara's past), leaving her stunt double, Kelly Stables (who at 23 is much older than Daveigh) to take on the role, and with the need to better hide her face.