New Revision of Xbox Hardware?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Masood Ali, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Story at Yahoo!
    Looks like the new revision Xbox will have a new chip for outputting video signals, as well as a new motherboard.
    I wonder if there will be any differences visually or otherwise between the current revision and the new one.

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

This is perfectly normal practice - the PS2 has had a number of revisions already for example. It's normal cost reduction policy in the lifetime of the machine.

I wouldn't imagine there's any visible difference other than the serial number.

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Yea, I think the US PS2 is on its 3rd or 4th version.

4. JohnGoggan

JohnGoggan Stunt Coordinator

Actually, the v7 PS2 was recently released. They've been rolling out revisions like crazy. [​IMG]
    - John...

5. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Good news for the Xbox. This means more (usually) profit or less cost for each system. I should be getting one soon...

6. JeffMuller

JeffMuller Stunt Coordinator

Yeah,
    My (former) next-door neighbor is (currently) the COO of Focus Enhancements. I didn't know anything about the deal until I read it yesterday, though. Pretty cool.

7. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

8. JohnGoggan

JohnGoggan Stunt Coordinator

Yes, there are 7 versions of the PS2 mainboard. Actually, there are more than that if you include all of them in the world. In the USA, there are at least 5 different versions that I know of personally -- but I'm fairly sure that there are actually 7 different versions now.

They did not increment the model number with the first 4 revisions. v5 has an "R" added to the model number. I don't know about v6. v7 actually has a new model number completely.

- John...