What's new

New restoration of GIANT (1956) to premiere at the 2022 TCM Film Festival (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
If the mags were mono, then that pretty much closes the book on whether or not this was ever stereo.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It doesn't look like Warner is releasing this on 4K/UHD disc. A Blu-ray release is coming and will be on HBO Max later this year.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't look like Warner is releasing this on 4K/UHD disc. A Blu-ray release is coming and will be on HBO Max later this year.

Unless I am missing something the only mention of blu ray came from George Stevens Jr

“I was with my father during the writing of the GIANT screenplay and he measured films by how they stood ‘the test of time’,” said Stevens, Jr. “GIANT has more than met that test and he would be grateful that Steven, Marty, The Film Foundation and Warner Bros. have achieved this brilliant restoration, so a new generation can see GIANT on the big screen, streaming and Blu-ray [Disc].”

He may not distingish between blu ray and 4K which is sometimes is referred to as 4K blu ray.

The mention of HBOMAX was on the final line of a the article.
This 4K restoration of GIANT will also be available on HBO Max later this year.

Not sure if this means there will even be a new blu ray soon other than we know a 4K disc is being released oversea.

Again if I am missing something, I apologize.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Unless I am missing something the only mention of blu ray came from George Stevens Jr

“I was with my father during the writing of the GIANT screenplay and he measured films by how they stood ‘the test of time’,” said Stevens, Jr. “GIANT has more than met that test and he would be grateful that Steven, Marty, The Film Foundation and Warner Bros. have achieved this brilliant restoration, so a new generation can see GIANT on the big screen, streaming and Blu-ray [Disc].”

He may not distingish between blu ray and 4K which is sometimes is referred to as 4K blu ray.

The mention of HBOMAX was on the final line of a the article.
This 4K restoration of GIANT will also be available on HBO Max later this year.

Not sure if these means there will even be a new blu ray soon other than we know a 4K disc is being released oversea.

Again if I am missing something, I apologize.
My response, we’ll see….:)

willyTass

Supporting Actor
I wonder if they pulled off a Ned Price Chariots of Fire with this new release , because the old Blu ray was absolutely perfect for the non optical scenes

• Insightful

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The existing blu ray of "Giant" appears to be near discontinued. It's available from 3rd parties at Amazon at advanced prices. The US version of the 3 picture James Dean blu ray set seems unavailable. An import version of the Dean set is available at Amazon. I guess these are good signs of a new blu ray coming.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The existing blu ray of "Giant" appears to be near discontinued. It's available from 3rd parties at Amazon at advanced prices. The US version of the 3 picture James Dean blu ray set seems unavailable. An import version of the Dean set is avaimable at Amazon. I guess these are good signs of a new blu ray coming.
There is little doubt in my mind that an upcoming physical media release is going to happen.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
And 4K is always region-free, so wherever it's released those that want it can order from there if there's no domestic option.
“Imagine there’s no Region
It’s easy if you try…
You may say I’m a dreamer
But I’m not the only one…”
- John Lennon

Until then, I’ve learned that a 4K/UHD is not guaranteed to be better than a BD. IMHO, a 4K/UHD now feels like a case by case prospect. So yes, a BD of the restored Giant may be all that’s needed to eek out a very satisfactory uptick. These days, with all of the advanced tools now nearly touching all ceilings, ever an uptick can qualify as remarkable.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
“Imagine there’s no Region
It’s easy if you try…
You may say I’m a dreamer
But I’m not the only one…”
- John Lennon

Until then, I’ve learned that a 4K/UHD is not guaranteed to be better than a BD. IMHO, a 4K/UHD now feels like a case by case prospect. So yes, a BD of the restored Giant may be all that’s needed to eek out a very satisfactory uptick. These days, with advanced tools now nearly touching all ceilings, ever an uptick can qualify as remarkable.
I haven’t learned that lesson.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
I imagine they will port over the prior releases extras. I do hope that is on a separate disc. Maybe we get a introduction from Spielberg included or small interview. Be interesting to hear why he and Scorsese picked this film.

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
The existing blu ray of "Giant" appears to be near discontinued. It's available from 3rd parties at Amazon at advanced prices. The US version of the 3 picture James Dean blu ray set seems unavailable. An import version of the Dean set is available at Amazon. I guess these are good signs of a new blu ray coming.

One place has it used for $12.99 + shipping.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, I'm sure it is. But Vintage Stock has it for $12.99 used at one of their stores. You call, order it, they ship it, and you get a $5 coupon in the package to cover the shipping.
https://vintagestock.com/store/products/giant-2
Well, I don't think many of us would want it now with a new and improved home video release probably happening later this year. As much as I like the film and if I didn't already own the 2013 Blu-ray, I wouldn't buy it now.

• Agreed

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I'll wait for a mod to post the link, but there's a listing for the Giant 4K UHD + Digital on Amazon US with a June 21, 2022 release date!

1650488787291.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.