What's new

new remote or wife (1 Viewer)

RossB

Grip
Well I just explained how to use the remote to my wife for the 337th time. I have tried various univeral remotes, I have programmed macros...I have drawn maps...and as soon as I leave the room...and return...there she is playing remote bingo (that would be picking a random remote and pointing it at various objects in the room and telling me how it doesn't work anymore). Is there such a thing a a spousal freindly remote, or is it going to be easier to just get a new wife? :D

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
If you haven't already, give the Pronto TSU-2000 a look. Very user friendly once it is setup and working properly. Very spouse friendly. It runs about $230 - $260, but that is significantly less expensive then your average divorce :)
Thanks,
Jeff
PS - For more information just do a search on TSU and you should have a wealth of information.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately, it's going to be easier to just ditch your wife. There is no such thing as a (technologically challenged)-wife friendly remote.

My wife is pretty good at figuring stuff out, but I still set her a system up upstairs and told her to leave my stuff alone. It makes for a happier relationship.

Only other suggestion would be to put sticky notes on the correct remote with instructions to "push the big red button first, etc. etc.". That way there's no mistaking....that or just write the instructions on the back of the remote with a permanent marker....never mind.

Ed_A

Stunt Coordinator
If you prefer "button" type remotes, you should also check out the Home Theater Master MX-500. Very wife friendly. It will leave you with only one remote on the coffee table. :emoji_thumbsup:
Check out remotecentral.com for reviews and user feedback.
HTH,
Ed

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
If you already have a universal remote that you like, hide all of the other remotes that are laying around. It sounds from your post like your wife doesn't know one remote from another. Eliminating that confusion would be the first step.

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
I highly recommend the HT Master MX 500. I recently upgraded from the SL9000. I didn't even have to give my wife instructions...she just started using it!

Another idea: With my SL9000 I downloaded a picture of the remote then put toghether a booklet of instructions, complete with arrow pointing to specific keys, etc. I had a page for each source: satellite, tivo, dvd, etc. I also had a page of trouble shooting: sound but no picture, picture but no sound, etc. The booklet was a great help for babysitters, inlaws, etc.

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard that "instruction booklet" idea before, and I think it's fabulous. Would you be willing to scan some of it and post the pictures, so we can shamelessly copy?

Alex Giese

Grip
Hmm, a booklet for remote control operations wouldn't go over well with my wife. She hates reading directions. Just last night she was frustrated with a remote and just threw it at me!:rolleyes

David Susilo

Screenwriter
What's wrong with them anyways? The remote says: JVC and she pointed it to my SAMSUNG TV. Then complain that she can't change the channel.

I wonder why...

oh well, time to upgrade to a new wife. A friend once asked me about marriage, whether I'll do it all over again. My answer is "in a heart beat, with another girl, from a different decade"

BryanZ

Screenwriter
The options here are fairly limited. The Pronto is your best (and cheapest) bet, even if you have to pay upwards of $300 for it. Option 2 involves upgrading to Wife 2.0 after installation of Divorce 1.1 and Girlfriend 2.0 and Fiancee 2.0. A secondary advantage of upgrading to Wife 2.0 is going on Honeymoon 2.0. However, before attempting any of the software and hardware upgrades she still must be able to pass Remote Control 101. If she can not, immediately abort installation of and/or upgrade to Wife 2.0.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Every day I thank the good lord above that I am and shall
remain single.. Buy what I want.. Do what I want.. When I
want.. Ahhhhh the good life :)

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
I'll second the Pronto suggestion. I have the Marantz RC5000, which is a rebranded Pronto. It is very easy to use once you get all your remotes programmed into it. Macros are the key. When you select "DVD" on my remote the macro switches the receiver input to DVD, switches the TV input to component-in, and changes screens on the remote to the DVD-related buttons. I even have buttons to turn on/off the entire system. It doesn't get any easier than this short of a brainwave-controlled remote. Still waiting on mine...

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Yohan on this. I've got a similar setup on my Yamaha RAV-2000 which is also a rebranded Pronto. It takes time to get it set up right, but when you do it'll be worth it. I just recently added a "Watch TV" button to my home page that will turn the stuff on and go to a screen with icons for 21 networks that I commonly watch. This way if someone else wants to watch TV at my place and isn't familiar with Tivo, they'll be set.

Of course, Wife 2.0 may be an option also. But be careful, sometimes the bugs that come with the upgrade are just as bad or even worse than the previous version. And due to the uniqueness of each installation, there is no way to adequately compare your's to another to see if the upgrade will be worthwhile.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
I'll throw in a vote for Pronto. It's extremely flexible (in terms of configuration) and if you have equipment that has discreet codes or could use macros to achieve the same result you can arrive at the perfect solution: a single remote in the room that could pointed virtually anywhere (Pronto has a very strong beam that bounces well of the walls) and a big LCD screen readout that says "Wife press here". It can then interactively take her through a few questions to establish whether she wants to watch TV, DVD, listen to some music or just picked it up by mistake. Check out http://www.remotecentral.com for more info on the subject.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
The best sol'n is going to be some sort of graphical based remote that relies heavily on macro's. The best remote that can do this is the pronto's (or their kin). To get a feel for what I'm talking about goto my web site and click on the pronto link then click the large white pronto home page. This will jump you into the online emulator and allow you to see how it my CCF works. Simply put all she has to do is tap the screen then decide what she wants to do..if its watch TV she presses "watch TV" and the pronto takes care of the rest...its very slick and I've yet to have anyone not be able to opperate my HT even when I'm not there which is a big change from when I had several remotes...incl button based universal's. www.jandr.com is currently selling refurb Pronto's for $130 US which is incredible cheap for the power you're getting.

JonahWicky

Stunt Coordinator
I'd stay away from the Wife 2.0. As with most Wife products, this one is very buggy and prone to freeze-ups. It's not backwards-compatible with the upgraded Husband products, and it tends to hog resources. Your best bet is the shareware Girlfriend line, and be sure to always have a current back-up!

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Could you color code the remote for her? Or perhaps an elaborate system of strings, pulleys, and wires rather than a remote.

I have the problem with my Mrs as well, and my system isn't even that complex. She will sometimes call me at work and say in her usual pissed off tone "okay.. how come there's no sound coming out?"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks