1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

New Releases kept locked up out of view

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick Pudar, Aug 26, 2001.

1. Nick Pudar

Nick Pudar Agent

I don't know what to make of this recent experience...
    I went to my local Border's Book & Music Store the other day to pick up a couple of new release DVD's, and couldn'r find them. They did a computerized inventory check that indicated they still had 30 on hand, but no one knew where they were. When the video guy got back from break, he told me they kept all their new release DVD's locked up in the back room due to high levels of theft.
    I asked him, "How are people supposed to know they're locked up in back?" He told me that enough people ask that they still sell out.
    Funny thing though -- the DVD's in the back room did not have the protective security plastic sleeve on them. He put one on the DVD's I wanted, walked me over to the cash register, and had the clerk promptly take them off!
    Go figure.
    Nick

2. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Huh? Were you going to snatch it out of his hands, open it up, take out the disc and slip the case back in his hands without noticing... cause if you were, that'd be a neat trick.
    And apparently people ask this one guy enough to sell out, since the others were clueless.
    They could at least put out an empty case, or a photocopy of the box (which one store near me does with double alphas and other thicker cases since they don't fit in the sleeves.)
    that's just bizarre.
    [Edited last by Graeme Clark on August 27, 2001 at 01:40 AM]

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Magnetic Video/ 20th Century-Fox Video/ CBS-FOX Video used to be in Farmington Hills.

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Nick, what was the name of this store again, 'Paranoia R'Us'!?
    ------------------
    So madly in love with Estella Warren!

5. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

It's obvious that the video clerk was just too lazy to get the new discs on the shelves and was making some lame excuse to cover for it. I very frequently have to ask for new titles at Borders at it takes them the better part of a week to get around to unboxing the new releases. The best is when they know they have them in the back but they don't feel like opening the boxes so they ask you to try again later.

6. John GB

John GB Stunt Coordinator

I've had a similar experience renting at BB. I knew the DVD had hit the street, but it was not on their new releases shelf. I asked the clerk if they had any DVDs in-house and he went into the back room and un-boxed me a brand new copy to rent. [​IMG]
    ------------------

7. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson Stunt Coordinator

Well, having worked as a lead clerk in the music/video section of a Borders, I can say that DVDs get ripped off like crazy. I remember one occasion where we had someone or a small group make off with about 40 discs in one take. The thief/thieves shuttled them out of the department and broke open the security cases in a corner of another section of the store. People rip open the softcore DVDs and take the disc, they burn open CD security keepers, you name it, someone has done it. In winter, we had teenagers coming in in those down-filled, puffy winter coats so that they could stuff handfuls of CDs down each sleeve (the coat obscuring the outline of the discs). So the story about theft is possibly true, although having known many lazy employees, the opposite is possibly true as well. I must say though, if you getting paid what Borders pays you, you wouldn't try very hard either...