What's new

New Region 2 Dune LE/Perfect Collection Out soon! (1 Viewer)

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
The best DUNE TV cut I've seen is indeed in NTSC.

The Japanese DVD of the TV cut, which Pioneer released over there last year, is infinitely better than the previous R2 UK release -- the transfer is night-and-day superior, the sound is clearer, and it's split into 2 different parts (as it was shown on TV) whereas the UK cobbled it together into one.

WELL worth importing from CD Japan or Amazon Japan if you want to see the TV cut. Don't waste your time on the UK disc.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
[groans] But I already have the 3-hour Alan Smithee version in full screen, I was hoping for a widescreen version to surface somewhere.:thumbsdown:
Oh well I still have my superb region 2 'PAL' copy of the theatrical version in widescreen.:emoji_thumbsup:

CraigL

Screenwriter
How exactly was Dune shot? I must admit that I could care less about the movie but i'm curious as to how a widescreen version of the movie (regardless of whatever cut it is) cannot exist.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There is no widescreen version of the TV cut because none was ever made. It was finished on video, and uses extreme left and extreme right of many battle shots. In order to create a new TV cut version they would have to retransfer everything new from the original film and cut it together. I hope they do someday, as the extended version contains far less blasphemy and is a superior film overall. I really wish I could get my hands on the 5 hour first cut, I'm betting it's even better. As for respecting Lynch, I do but he's disowned the film, so I have no idea what his vision of how it should be is. What I do know is that the more footage I see, the better it is.

Dune was shot anamorphic 35mm 2.35:1

JerryB

Grip
I notice that the boxed set will have 2 DVDs full of extras. Will these be in German or subtitled? How are special editions of U.S. films usually presented in Germany? I'm interested in this set for the extras, but don't speak (or read) German. Any info would be appreciated. It does look cool though.

SaschaStolingwa

Auditioning
Hi, :)

the bonus-materials are often in English (with optional German subtitles).

Highlight Video is a swiss company... the language of the features depends on the material they have.

I ordered it at Amazon.de... I'll let you know... :D

JerryB

Grip
I placed my order as well with Amazon.de. I figure I'd take the chance. It is a great looking set.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Sigh.

The exchange rate for Euros has shot up so dramatically in the past few months that this is now rather expensive.

It used to be 1 Euro = S$1.6 or so, now it's S$2.07 :frowning: And I'm sure those of you in the US have the same problem.

Ouch. S$163 for a movie title (albeit swanky collectors' edition v. but that's the cost of a whole season of ST:DS9), of which I already have a bare-bones version. But still...

SaschaStolingwa

Auditioning

I'm sorry to write this...

I saw the theatrical version... the picture is fine... not the best... but the best Dune-Version I saw.

There are no English subtitles (just German subs).

The documentation is only in German! :| Sorry guys!

I bought only this version, because €80 are too much and the packaging isn't as good as it sounds. €14 for a good DVD is absolutely... OK! ;)

Tim Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
SaschaStolingwa wrote:
There are no English subtitles (just German subs).

The documentation is only in German! :| Sorry guys!
The big question is... are those German subtitles fixed or removable?

As for the documentation being in German only, that is fine. It is a German production after all and I would not expect it to be in English or any other language other than German... I will be happy enough just to have the pleasure of its company :) Unfortunately, being an Amazon.De order, that could be some time off yet as their shipping is possibly the slowest on the planet (even slower than Amazon.Ca if, as I do, you live in the antipodes).

regards, Tim...

SaschaStolingwa

Auditioning

there are no forced or burnt in subtitles! :D

Amazon.de is one of the fastest Online-Shop and one with the best service in Germany! I don't know how long does a package take to Australia. My Australian orders (e. g. ezydvd.com.au) took usually 5-10 days...

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
(even slower than Amazon.Ca if, as I do, you live in the antipodes)
Ah. I was wondering if us in Singapore were the only ones getting slow delivery.

The funny thing is, end of last year when I ordered Band of Brothers, it took all of 8 days to arrive. Now my last order shipped about 5 weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived. :frowning:

Tim Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon.de is one of the fastest Online-Shop and one with the best service in Germany! I don't know how long does a package take to Australia. My Australian orders (e. g. ezydvd.com.au) took usually 5-10 days...
Yes, my experience with Amazon.de relates to two orders which each took over 60 days to arrive.

However, having said that, I am now going to have to eat my words as this order for Dune which shipped just three days ago on the 1st July, has just this morning arrived on my doorstep!!! Amazon.de have just broken all speed records, even managing to get this set to me faster than most courier services... and all with standard shipping.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
So how is the Picture Quality? I've got the R2 Jap. anamorphic version of Dune and the PQ is pretty bad.

Tim Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
So how is the Picture Quality? I've got the R2 Jap. anamorphic version of Dune and the PQ is pretty bad.
I will let you know once I have had a chance to look at it. It only arrived this morning and I am currently at work. In fact, I doubt that I will get the time to take a good look at it for a few days as I have a very busy weekend planned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks