What's new

New Red Curtain Trilogy Box Set Pics and Details! (1 Viewer)

WilliamJI

Grip
Just over 2 weeks left until this comes out!!
Link Removed
Link Removed
Details for the 5th Disc "Behind the Red Curtain" posted below (from Digital Eyes Site):
"Behind the Red Curtain" - This special feature DVD
includes: Red Curtain Cinema (3 levels of branching, about
20 pieces of video); House of Iona; "One Day I'll Fly
Away" Video; Final Script (June 2000) and DVD-Rom
features containing: 5 Versions of the "Strictly Ballroom"
Script; "Strictly Ballroom" Comic Book; "Romeo + Juliet"
Script; Dubsy's Dirt; Toulouse Tonight; Credits and
Gratitudes."
My hope is that DE is mistaken, I want the "Dubsy's Dirt" and "Toulouse Tonight" web videos as regular segments on the dvd - NOT as ROM extras!!

Joel C

Screenwriter
I have the bonus disc in my possession; the Talouse Tonight and other web features ARE rom only.

What's that ad say about R+J being a 2 disc set? The SE is have is only 1. I hope I am not missing out.

I like the uniformity of the new packaging as well.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Is there going to be any way for fans who've already bought the films to get the fifth disk? :-/

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Bah. It's always the fans that get it in the neck with "later" boxsets like this. In my wife's case, it's not just a matter of rebuying one film (like a later special edition), it's three. Bah.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I have avoided purchasing any of these titles separately for just this scenario. Can't wait for the Red Curtain box to fall into my hot little hands. :D

Mitty

Supporting Actor
It's always the fans that get it in the neck with "later" boxsets like this.
It's polite of you to use the PG-rated "in the neck."

I, for one, won't be biting on this one. I'm not double dipping on three discs to get a disc of extras.

If they'd released it day and date with Moulin Rouge, I would have, without question, but not now.

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator
How big is the chance that MOULIN ROUGE will come with a fixed DTS track?

And what the HELL is on this second disc for R+J? DAMMIT! Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Thanks,

Seb

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This set was talked about at the same time as, or even prior to, the release of the DVD's contained within it. I first heard about the box around the release of the Moulin Rouge DVD, and I believe that the DVD's for Strictly Ballroom and the SE of Romeo & Juliet were both released after that. And with each release was more discussion of the "Red Curtain" box. So everyone who wanted the extra disc could have waited for the box if they were a bit patient.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
There was a "red box trilogy" mooted before Moulin Rouge's release, but it got delayed & delayed. There were ZERO details about it except for it containing all three films.

There was zero concrete info - why wait for something that may or may not come out? I still say it's the fans getting it in the neck over this. FOX are usually really good for dealing with fans as well :-(

So everyone who wanted the extra disc could have waited for the box if they were a bit patient.
I guess we should all stop buying DVDs completely then - be patient for the special editions that may or may not come out?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
why wait for something that may or may not come out?
So you don't find yourself in this exact situation? I wasn't going to wait forever, but I figured I'd at least wait until the end of 2002 and see if it showed up. It's not like any of the individual titles would not be available to purchase later, especially if the box did not arrive for some reason.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
So everyone who wanted the extra disc could have waited for the box if they were a bit patient.
So, by that logic, we also shouldn't buy any Star Wars or LOTR's or Spider-Man DVD's available because we all know that when those three series are finished, there will be multiple collector sets released. In fact, any film that has a sequel or perhaps a sequel (and what summer film isn't getting a sequel nowadays?), I better wait 5 years to purchase the Super Deluxe Box Set. Sorry, that doesn't wash with me. I can be patient, but I'm not going to wait for years just because some studio wants to milk me. Produce another disc with exclusive content? Fine. But make it available seperately to those people who have already purchased the films contained in the Box Set. It wouldn't be that hard to order it through a website using the UPC codes on the current discs.

Bruce

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I can be patient, but I'm not going to wait for years just because some studio wants to milk me.
:laugh: Then your two choices are to either live with the disappointment of having to miss out on subsequent special features or to be outraged at having to re-purchase films. Pick one. This isn't anything new. So it has been, so it shall be.
A lot of people have previously bought Gremlins. I haven't heard of Warner offering those who already own it a separate disc with all the extras? They expect you to buy the film again in order to get the extras. Same with Starship Troopers, Memento, Evil Dead, Halloween, The Rock, Armageddon, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, The Usual Suspects and on, and on, and on. Some offer small rebates, but no one is offering to set up special fulfillment offers for those who already own these discs to get the new Special Edition extras separately, for a lesser price.
People re-purchase DVD's all the time for new extras, an anamorphic transfer, dts, OAR, different covers (see the Reservoir Dogs 4-pack). What's different about this?

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
How big is the chance that MOULIN ROUGE will come with a fixed DTS track?
I would like to know this as well!

The DTS sync problem on the MR dvd has been well documented here and in other forums. I don't believe Fox has ever commented on this prob, but I hope they fix it in the MR dvd included in the Red Curtain box set.

Felix

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Saw this on the shelf today at my local mega-retailer. Price was $48.88. Romeo & Juliet appears to be the recent single-disc SE, not a new 2-disc version as shown in the above ad. Sticker on the front of the package says "$5 Rebate by Mail for current owners of Moulin Rouge."

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I got my copy of the box set today, and sad to report that Malcolm is right - Romeo + Juliet is a single disc (although it has presumably been packaged especially - there's no barcode on this sleeve).
In fact, the set is a little disappointing (at least, from a design point of view). Although there's been some attempt to present a uniform look to the four discs, Moulin Rouge is in a digipack, and the others are in normal plastic cases. The sleeves aren't quite as they are depicted in the advert at the top of the thread: the version of Strictly Ballroom in the box set is identical to the currently available version, complete with shrink-wrap and security sticker.
The Moulin Rouge disc has no barcode on the packaging, so presumably it's been made (or re-packaged) especially for this set.
My box set came from a retailer who sources discs from Canada, so there's a chance that the US set will be different... and if the version of Romeo + Juliet in the US version is a two-disc version, then this puppy is going back to the farm!

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I had a look at the beginning of Chapter 9 (Ewan singing "Your Song"), and the lipsync problem described in one of the other Moulin Rouge threads is still very evident (on my Sony player). The Dolby Digital version still played a bit loose, but it’s no worse than I'd expect from the usual post-production dubbing process. (Incidentally, I am reasonably qualified in this area, since I do quality assessment work for Disney and the BBC, among others!)
It's a shame that Fox have basically ignored this problem, and didn't see this as the ideal opportunity to fix things (although I'm not surprised, after the debacle about Fox’s UK 24 box set... but that's another story!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks