New Reciever

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by CalvinCarr, Dec 17, 2003.

1. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

I'm thinking about getting the Sony 995 because of it's power and 2 room function. All of my other equipment and T.V. is Sony. What do you think?

2. ken-m

ken-m Agent

sony has had some quality control issues the last year or so, especially with their receivers. they will shut down completely and not come back on. i would go for the onkyo txsr601. i am thinking about that one for myself. i listened to one today and it has more power and better sound than the sony will ever have. it is only 6.1 but would be a much better choice for the same money.

3. John S

John S Producer

If the two room support is really important to you, I don't think there is any less costly options out there for you on it.

Not my first choice, but if it fits the budget, I'd say go for it, like I say as long as the two room thing is going to be really used and is a requirement.

Pair it with bright speakers, it'll be fine.

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I would probably have to say either go with an Onkyo or perhaps a Yamaha that has a Speaker B output.

The Sony's really have some quality issues, no to mention don't trust there power ratings. At full that Sony probably pushes out maybe 30Watts per channel, which for a medium size room is acceptable.

5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I would also agree that non-ES series of Sony receivers are not as highly regarded as other companies like Yamaha, Onkyo, Harmon Kardon, Denon to name a few. I suggest you look at some of these brands at a price point near the Sony.

6. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

I'm really confused about this quality control stuff. I've had a 595 for 4 years with no problems. The speaker B option isn't do-able. My wife would like to be able to listen to a different source in the bedroom at the same time. Also I can get this at a place here in Miami for $300.00. For a 7.1 unit not bad I think?

7. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

If it's not an ES sony I wouldn't touch it personally, but yet again i've had bad luck with Sony in the past. That one unit may be fine but I know tons of people who have problems with them.

I don't know what to tell you. If you can look at the HK AVR-330 it's about $500, might be able to find it for $400-450 if you look good.

Good luck with your decision but I vote the HK over that Sony anyday, and it has a second zone out, and not to mention a remote for it and everything... Good luck.

8. John S

John S Producer

As I said, pair it with bright / forward, efficient speakers, you'll be ok.

I don't think there is another reciever out there, with that zone b / different source function for less money.

Not that I am aware of anyways.

9. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

I wouldn't expect any great differences in quality when considering receivers in this price level. Beyond the specific dual zone feature you want, I'd make some type of judgement based on the physical appearence of the inside of the case. Look down through the vents of the receivers that you are considering and look for solder and paint splash's on the side or bottom. Also look at the underside for the same and also any sheet metal screws coming through the chassis. Finally, make some judgement about the quality of the boards used and their neatness of appearence. The boards should be perfectly flat if mounted horizontal or perfectly perpundicular if in a vertical position. These recs may not be 100%, but at least we can try to make the absolute best decision based on some common sense. Good luck.

10. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Another way to go if your old receiver is still working is to use the old receiver in the bedroom & then that would free you up for looking at better receivers for your main room. I bought my daughter a JVC RX-9010 receiver about 2 years ago just because it was a dual room receiver but the big reason was that it had an RF Remote that could be used in the second zone which she has hooked up to her bedroom & an outside patio for the 2nd zone & she has had no problem with it sofar but that model is discontinued & it din't have 6.1 or 7.1 but it did have a computer audio input for her laptop. Just remember with a lot of the 2nd zone receivers that they will not work in the 2nd room if your using Surround Sound in the main room & if that's going to be an important thing to you, you would be better off using a receiver in each room & that's the way I would go. As far as Sony quality goes in the DE line I don't think there any better or worse than JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer or Panasonic they all tend to cut corners to keep the cost down on their lower priced models. Just my 2 cents [​IMG]

11. Tom Boz

Tom Boz Auditioning

Make sure that the 2nd room function does not need another amp. I believe that you will need the second amp, but not sure.