New Reciever

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RussellC, Dec 16, 2002.

1. RussellC

RussellC Stunt Coordinator

Not too long ago I finally got an HDTV and progressive scan player, and then finally upgraded my crappy speakers to Energy 5.2 set with a SVS 25-31 PCi.

I still need to get a reciever and have my sights set on the Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX. Everyone here seems to be raving about it, and I have a large opening on one side of my room so I figured the Auto calibration would fare better in my room than my SPL meter.

Currently I have a 3 year old Pioneer VSX-D608 5.1 reciever. What kind of sound improvement am I looking at here? And how about after adding 2 more Take 2.2 speakers for 7.1? Any input would be appreciated?

Thanks,
    Russell

2. RussellC

RussellC Stunt Coordinator

I forgot I even posted this. Anyone have any input? I just ordered the reciever [​IMG]

3. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I have seen some posts over at AVSForum regarding shutdown problems with the 45tx, so you might want to take a look over there. Could be a non-issue if you are using 8ohm nominal speakers. The auto-cal feature seems to be getting rave reviews also. The 5.1/6.1/7.1 debate is another issue. Some (me) prefer 7.1, while others are more than happy with 5.1. I say if your room is big enough go for the added rear channels.

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Russel,
    The shutdown problems were occurring at extremely high volumes with large tower speakers set to Large, something you're not going to be contemplating with your 5.2s and svs sub. This receiver should have no problem with decently efficient 8 ohm speakers.

I've had my 45tx for almost 2 weeks now, never intending to go 7.1. It only took me 2 days to talk myself into the extra 2 speakers and I'm very glad I did.

This is the 3rd receiver I've had driving my current speakers (others were Yamaha RXV-795 and Sony VS333ES), and after the MCACC it sounds like I not only got a new receiver but a new and much better set of speakers. My room is setup oddly, with the couch and tv opposite each other in diagonal corners and a largish archway in one wall--really not good acoustically. The MCACC auto setup feature has made this sound much better than I ever could with my sound meter.

The receiver will synthesize a rear surround channel from 5.1 or even DPLII sources-very nice results. True DDEX and DTSES on films like LOTR-EE or Blade II truly rock!!