1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

New Reciever.... (Hi I'm new)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bud H., Jan 28, 2003.

1. Bud H.

Bud H. Auditioning

HARMAN KARDON AVR-520 vs. Kenwood VR 6070 vs. Pioneer Elite VSX-41

I can't decide! They are all about $500 or so, thats my limit

Thanks Guys

2. John S Choi

John S Choi Agent

I am using VR-6070 now. I am very happy with surround sound
    and it does have all the latest features. I have used
    H/K AVR8000 last year and it was O.K. for movies. I look at AVR520 it seems some units have problem with SBR RCA preout put using external amp. My system always been 7.1 since Lexicon CP-1 days(very lonf time) and SBR problem in the H/K320 & 520 is no.no.. I must say musical (STEREO) performance wise H/K is better than Kenwood BUT Kenwood is
    better processor (VR-6070)

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

There is no reason to buy the Pioneer Elite VSX-41 ...there really is no difference between the 41 and the Pioneer 811. Don't waste the money on the 41.

4. Bud H.

Bud H. Auditioning

Sooo how is the quality of the sound on the Kenwood, I know its powerful and has every thing.... But SQ means a lot to me

"SBR problem in the H/K320 & 520 is no.no." I don't understand

5. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

I would go with the H/K but I would look at the 325 also if you want to go with 7.1 (extra amps built in) nad it's also in that price range, it was 499.99 @ Costco but they rasied the price 50.00 bucks just recently, but here's a link Costco

6. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I'd go with the HK AVR 520. I've heard good things on here about it, and it's the receiver I probably would have gotten if I didn't get such a nice discount on the Yamaha 5590. [​IMG]

EDIT: The sound quality on the Kenwood actually doesn't seem to be that good. The THD rating is awfully high, plus I don't think it has features that make it comparable to the 520. I'd stay away from the Kenwood if you put a big premium on sound quality.

7. Jonathan_D

Jonathan_D Stunt Coordinator

The HK 520 is excellent (I own one), but the Kenwood can be had cheaper online if you look - cursory search found it for $398.

8. John S Choi

John S Choi Agent

H/K has problem on some units of 320/520 receivers.

this only applies to 7.1 setup.

surround back right pre out on these unit does not send out
    all the info. like S.b.left. Only low FREQ.

This in in Logic7 mode which should be 7 independent channels.

9. Bud H.

Bud H. Auditioning

John S Choi, I wasn't necissarly planning on using 7.1, at least not right away

What would you suggest then? My main reason is for DVDs here, sure pro logic 2 is cool for normal tv use, but DVD is the importance here

I believe I"ll skip the Kenwood.... sure features features, I'm not going to be using no satelight speakers....

would I really be better off with the 325 ? the 520 is I'm not mistaken is just simply the last years module of the 525, whihc cost $800 this year, shouldn't the 520 be really good to?

Pioneer Elite however I haven't heard any complaints about, and I'd want the Elite version any how, I understand Harmon Kardon is basicly a JBL company, makes me uneasy in a way, Marantz is dressed up Pioneer for the most part.... hmm

I wish you all just gave an over whelming vote to one I'd of ordered lol, oh well, Thanks for the replies

10. Daneel

Daneel Stunt Coordinator

"Marantz is dressed up Pioneer for the most part...."

I've never heard that before, is it true? What do you mean by dressed up?

11. Bud H.

Bud H. Auditioning

I mean different face plate, that stuff, insides are often the same, I got this information from a friend very into audio, just not the lower end, so he dosen't provide a lot of info on home theatre like my reciever search

12. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie
    I've got the 811 and love it, but I'm curious:

When I owned the Kenwood 1080 several years ago, I got really sick of having the receiver either shut down or lock up whenever I reached for the volume knob and had the slightest static electricity shock happen.

Does this still occur with current models?

Alf

13. Bud H.

Bud H. Auditioning

Hmm I would guess they'd fix that by now....

14. John S Choi

John S Choi Agent

I went to FRYs to see if They had $250.00 AVR320 today.
    It sold out but They had AVR520 demo for $399.90 with remote. Two year warranty for demo was not too bad.
    I know it had SBR problem but It was $100.00 less than
    Kenwood AVR-6070. I took it home to give a try. LOGIC7 SBR
    issue was delt with Y RCA adapter from SBL to rear external
    amp ( I now have LOGIC6 ). H/K sound is warm, more balanced
    and alot more musical. I have both SACD/DVD-A and the H/K
    sounded much more musical using 6.1 analog input. Kenwood is a great unit for D.D/DTS processing but when it came to music sound quality H/K
    is better choice. I will send to H/K for repair in comming month for SBR problem. I am taking a chance that they will
    repair it or offer a replacement in future. Do not use Kenwood for music.

15. gregD

gregD Second Unit

"Marantz is dressed up Pioneer for the most part...."

Not.

Marantz DVD players are built around Pioneer transports (as are several manufacturers), but the receivers are all Marantz.

At $550, the SR5300 has ample power (90W x 6), and sounds better - especially with music - than the HK, Kenwood or Pioneer... 2-yr warranty... bang for the buck.

16. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

The price of the HK AVR-320 is down to $250 at Fry's? Geez, I was estatic when I got mine for $299. I guess there's always a better deal, no matter when you buy. $399 for the 520 is also a great price.

As far as the Logic 7 error, by using a Y adapter to an external amp from SBL, you really don't resolve the problem. Logic 7 actually outputs STEREO to the surround back channels, so all you've done John is power two surround back left channels and no right. You're not really getting stereo. I just reread your post, I guess that's why you said you now have Logic 6 :wink:

The problem is only using Logic 7. If you're using DD, DTS or 7 channel stereo, the SBR channel is fine.

I'm only using 5.1 so it's not really an issue for me right now. I did test my receiver for the logic 7 problem though

17. John S Choi

John S Choi Agent

I have HDTV STBOX and I use D.D. OR PLII processing throhgh optical output.
    I also have AT&T cable which is analog RCA stereo and I use H/Ks LOGIC6.
    Digital inputs sounds better using Dolby processing.
    analog inputs sounds better using LOGIC6 on AVR520
    I do not use internal amps at all.

18. Out of those models I would get the H/K. It has the best quality/sound ratio. I have only owned one Kenwood item in my life, about 8 Years ago I bought one of their top of the line receivers and it lasted just barely passed the warranty period. For Pioneer I love their stuff and have had nothing but good luck from them but until you get to the 45TX the Elite stuff is overpriced unless you buy online and then you have to worry about warranty issues. The H/K is great for HT and just plain awesome for music.