1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

New Reciever!! Few questions.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Nick.S, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Nick.S

Nick.S Stunt Coordinator

I sold my old surround system and I am starting fresh with a new one. My GF works at BestBuy (no booing) so we really want to take advantage of the crazy discount there. (50 to 70% OFF)I am looking at getting a 6.1 or 7.1 system. Hear are the receivers I am looking at: Yamaha HTR-5590, Yamaha HTR-5660, and Sony STRDE995
    I know most of you do no like the Sony’s but its the only 7.1 receiver at bb so Its on my maybe list. What is the best Yamaha of those two? The Speakers I have pretty much chosen are: Front-Klipsch SF-3, Center-Klipsch SC-3, Surround-Klipsch SS-3, and Sub-Klipsch KSW-12
    This will be connecting to my 42"in widescreen TV. (Component video)

Those are the 3 best receivers that I found on the bb website. The Sony seems to have more power for the speakers that I am getting, so I am leaning more that route. I also am reading a lot of better things about the Yamaha’s.

Thanks Nick

2. David G Greene

David G Greene Stunt Coordinator

Yamaha HTR-5660

3. Travis Cain

Travis Cain Stunt Coordinator

Avoid the Sony at all costs.. Their power ratings are misleading, and overall quality is substandard. Yamaha on the other hand makes great products with honest power ratings.. I would take a 75-80 watt per channel yamaha any day over a 110+ wpc sony.. Also, with high sensitivity speakers like Klipsch (Great choice, BTW) you'll probably notice a hiss coming out of the sony..

Not to say that ALL sony receivers are junk, but the DE line is.. If you really want a sony and want a decent one, look at the ES line..

4. Chester II

Chester II Stunt Coordinator

Nick S. dude,

Travis is correct...if you pick Sony go with the higher-end ES line. As for David, Yamaha is also fine but his signature is uncalled for.

Dudes,

Chester

5. Nick.S

Nick.S Stunt Coordinator

Ok well I am getting away from the sony 7.1 reciever then. Out of the two yamahas what one would be the better one?
    HTR-5660 or the HTR-5590
    The 5590 has 600w while the 5660 only has 510. Both are 6.1. I really would like the extra power for my speakers.

Nick.S

6. David Michael

Dont really go to bestbuy but dont the carry onkyo?Also imho synergy kinda suck.I think bestbuy carries celestion and high end jbl?

7. Nick.S

Nick.S Stunt Coordinator

I do not see any onkyo on the bb web site. As far as JBL the Northridge series is the best they have. Do you think they will be better then the Klipsch synergy series? I will check some prices on the jbl's cause I can get a 5.1 top of the line synergy series set for around 900. Guess I though that Klipsch would be better. Guess thats why I am here :)

Thanks
    Nick

8. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

I have a junky Sony STR-DE885, and I'm happy with it. It does its job, movies and music sound great, and there is no discernable hiss unless I put my ear next to one of my speakers, but my speakers are not terribly sensitive (89dB).

9. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

Why not the Athena AS-F2 floorstanding speaker? They've had great reviews on this site.

I think the 5590 is better than the 5660. It has 7 digital inputs, a phono input, learning LCD remote, 2 optical outputs, heavier and more power plus On Screen Display. The one thing the 5560 looks like it does have over the 5590 is 6.1 pre outs, if that matters to you.

Perhaps the 5590 is an older unit, maybe a model year older than the 5660?

10. Travis Cain

Travis Cain Stunt Coordinator

When it comes to speakers, you really should go give them a listen. While the synergy line of Klipsch is their bottom end line, they by no means suck.. In my opinion, you really can't go wrong with Klipsch. Not to say there isn't better speakers out there, but I personally like the way Klipsch speakers sound. Not to mention you get a whole lot of clean sound with just a little bit of power.

I own a pair of Klipsch LaScala's and I can't imagine ever replacing them.

11. David Michael

Lascalas rock hands down.The only way you would get my ref5s from me would be pry them from my dead fingers.On that note ive never been a synergy fan they have ruined my favorite speaker manufactuer.