What's new

New Receiver? (1 Viewer)

Jerome_Anthony

Auditioning
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I'm currently looking for a receiver and speakers for my Panasonic 500u. The den where it resides is 15x11 (actual den size), open floor plan which extends into the kitchen/living/dinning room. Those with personal experience please provide your feedback.

Here's my wish list;

Receiver:
* Ethernet or USB compatibility (I would like to connect to my home network to retrieve MP3's stored on my computer)
* Component video switching up conversion
* THX
* Analog Video Up-Conversion to HDMI and Component Video
* HD Radio Compatibility or XM (which ever is better)
* SA-CD

Speakers:
Open to suggestions

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
Sounds like I have a similar floorplan and positioning the surrounds is a real pain. Nothing to reflect the sound back into the room and no place to put true rear channel speakers. So I've stuck with a 5.1 speaker setup with the surrounds mounted high right at the prime seating position, dipole radiators to avoid too much directionality (but at the cost of losing a lot of the rear firing pattern into the other room).

That room size is also similar to mine. Doesn't seem to challenge most any decent amp and speaker combo although the lack of an enclosed space does mean some sound energy is lost into the other space(s). My primary problem is that with the floor plan there's no way to not dominate the entire ground floor with the sound unless the volume is kept unrealistically low.

As far as specific recommendations that gets very budget dependent. You can spend as little as few hundred for speakers or many thousands. For any real help you'll need to give a guesstimate of the budget and any preferences for types/brands of speakers.

The XM-capable receivers are just starting to hit the market and after a cursory look a couple of them look good, although I'm not about to replace my receiver at this point. That spec will, however, limit your choices. If you don't like what you find in those, consider getting an XM portable (MyFi for example) and connecting it to the receiver that you otherwise want. That's the way I have mine and it works just great. I can't even remember when that receiver's FM section got any "exercise".

Jerome_Anthony

Auditioning
Thanks for your reply. My budget is $1500. I understand the XM dilemma and could exclude that from my requirement and do what you did.

Speakers;
Polk
Athena
Ascends
Klipsch

Receivers:
Yamaha
Pioneer
Denon
Onkyo
HK?

Yong Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Take a look at the new Pioneer Elite VSX74. It has all the features that you are talking about. I have the VSX72, and it is a very capable receiver. They are very similar but the 74 has more connectivity including the USB connectivity that you want. Is $1500 your total budget including speakers? The 74 costs about that alone. If it is, then I wouldn't recommend spending more than $500 for the receiver. You would need at least $1000 for a good set of towers for your fronts. I would definitely get towers if you plan on listening to music, especially since your floor plan is open. That why you want the XM?

yc

Jerome_Anthony

Auditioning
I was just looking at the VSX-74TXVi before I read your response this morning Young. Your right, the 74TXVi is loaded. I'm hesitant to go Pioneer. I just do not have the respect for them that I have for others. Maybe it's just me. I see Pioneer as an entry level stereo component. I know I'm new to home audio but definitely not new to audio in general. I guess they are in the league with some of the higher end models, especially the "Elite Line". Also, I see Best Buy has them in their Magnolia Theater. My budget "was" $1500 for everything however I see my taste is expanding beyond that.

Yes, I want XM for playing the radio and agree I need towers for the open floor plan. I also listen to CD's and MP3's.

Any thoughts on which speakers would be nice with the VSX-74TXVi? What do you have?

Yong Chan

Stunt Coordinator
I can see why you feel like that about Pioneer. They do make very cheap entry level stuff, so image can be an issue.

At any rate, I actually bought a VSX72, which is essentially the same except for lacking a USB/Ilink connection. Didn't feel that I would make use of them.

As for speakers, I would set a budget that you can stick to. Then I wouldn't spend more than a third of that budget on a receiver. Receiver technology is always changing, my Denon 2802 from 4 years ago is outdated and now relegated to the bedroom. Good speaker don't get outdated. So spend more money on speakers.

I bought my speakers from onix

They are an internet direct company, so you get a lot more speaker for your money. Surf the forum, you will find many a satisfied customer. Someone in the forum let me audition his speakers at his home, and so made me a believer. Really, there are quite a few speaker companies on the internet that have excellent products and excellent customer service. I just happened to really like the onix. I would look at the various speaker companies, including onix, axiom, aperion, ascend, and swan. Of course, look at SVS and HSU for your sub. None of this is cheap by any means, but definitely a great value. As for what speaker you should pair with a VSX 74, I don't think you will find the receiver having problems with almost any speaker. Wish you the best of luck.

YC

My set up:
Pioneer Elite 1130HD Plasma display
Pioneer Elite VSX72 Receiver
Hsu Research VTF3-MKII Subwoofer
Onix Rocket 760's Fronts
Onix Rocket RSC200
Surrounds (from previous home owner, can't pry the speaker grills off without dmging the drywall)
Samsung 950 DVD player
Panamax M5100EX

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks