What's new

New Receiver (1 Viewer)

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm interesting.. Most AVR's all the digital inputs are fully assignable to whatever you want.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Even my old VSX-811 has assignable inputs. The noly one not assignable is the one on the front console. No reason to think the 811 would be drastically different.

JoeyN

Auditioning
Could I use the TV/SAT optical IN for my DVD player on the pioneer 1014? I checked the back panel and it didn't have an optical input for DVD.

Todd Henry

Second Unit
You can hook up any component to any input. Just remember to put the audio and video for the DVD player into the TV/Sat inputs on the receiver. You then select TV/Sat when using your DVD player.

My TV receiver is plugged into my CD/DVD input on my AV Receiver.

Also, I am pretty sure you can assign any of the optical inputs to any device. Check the manual of the 1014 to see how.

Todd

JoeyN

Auditioning
Cool, thanks Todd. I don't have the manual nor can I get it online. I'm still trying to figure out if I should get the 1014 over the Yamaha htr-5760. I know that there's a lot of goodies on the 1014 and that it would compare more to the 5790, but from what I hear the Yamaha 5760 even though it's not really a comparable unit to the 1014, has more DSP sound options than the 1014. My living room is a bit strange with high ceiling and space connecting to my living room. But for the price, the 1014 is really attractive. Can someone help me out a little more with my decision? Thanks

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well, nobody is going to make the choice for you. :)

Tough room would probably be served well by the auto calibration though.

JoeyN

Auditioning
You're right John, but the decision is tough. And I have nowhere to hear them for myself, best buy has them only on display. This is really tough :frowning:

bryan A

Agent
All you can do is let yourself and your ears decide. You can always buy the 1014tx at Best buy and if you don't like the options or sound you can always take it back for the Yamaha.

bryan A

Agent
Joey,

As far as I can tell there are no dislikes that I currently have with this receiver. I have had it for about 5 months now and have experienced no problems or dislikes. It seems like the only problem that people face around here is the lack of 3 component inputs which does not pose a problem for me.
It has all of the future features with the 7.1 setup and all of the power I need, I don't see myself needing to upgrade until 3 to 4 years up the road, and not to mention is a very inexpensive receiver you can't go wrong.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
The more I listen to my 1 day old 1014, the more I am enjoying it. MUCH more accurate and detailed then my old 811 ever was.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Joey,

I also have an odd room configuration, with the tv and front speaker array backed into one corner and the couch diagonally opposite in the other corner, with a large open archway to the right of and behind the couch.

In weird configurations like this the auto-eq is a huge advantage.

My first receiver with auto-setup and auto eq was my Pioneer VSX-45tx. The 1014 uses virtually the same auto eq system. After running the auto eq for the first time I noticed a significant improvement in sound, as if I'd done an expensive speaker upgrade. The receiver the Pioneer replaced was an excellent Sony ES model, not a $300 cheapie, so I attribute the significant improvement in sound quality to the auto-eq.

JoeyN

Auditioning
Thanks for all of your input again. I just picked it up at Best Buy to test it out, and man, this receiver is awesome. The only thing I'm having trouble with is the bass. My old Yamaha rx-v530 had more bass. I switch the sub to PLUS and the fronts to SMALL and noticed a significant difference. What's the best sound option for movies (extended, thx cinema, dolby d. IIx, etc...)? For music I really liked the 7 ch stereo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks