What's new

New Receiver (1 Viewer)

JoeyN

Auditioning
I'm searching for a new receiver and am on a $300 budget. I'm torn between different brands and need some help getting a really good receiver for my current setup:

Klipsch SF-1 floors
Klipsch C-2 Center
Klipsch SS.5 Rears
Sony WX700 Sub

I'm looking at Yamaha receivers, but heard mixed reviews about pairing them with Klipsch speakers. Here are the receivers I'm looking at:

Harman Kardon AVR235
Kenwood VR8070
Pioneer VSX1014
Yamaha HTR5740 and 5760

Please let me know what you think would go best with my speaker setup. Thanks for your input.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I have a 5760 with Klipsch R3-II setup and I love the way it sounds. But Pioneer 1014 is also a very nice unit.

JoeyN

Auditioning
Thanks for your input. Best Buy sells both Yamaha HTR5760 and Pioneer VSX1014 and the sales guy there said the yamaha would blow the pioneer out of the water, is this true?

bryan A

Agent
Try not to listen to anyone at bestbuy. There have been numerous posts here comparing the 5760 to the 1014tx and most people will tell you that the 1014tx compares more to the Yamaha 5790. I currently own the 1014 and love it.

JoeyN

Auditioning
Thanks for your advise Bryan. So would you think that the 1014 has more clarity, cleaner, and over sound quality than the yamaha 5790? I'm not really looking for loudness, just clarity. Thanks

bryan A

Agent
I cannot give advice on the 5790 because I have never compared them, but as far as clarity goes the pioneer 1014 has a very great sound compared to other recievers out there... If you have any other doubts about the pioneer just look at the posts around here, in my mind the pioneer is the best bang for the buck at $350 to $450 price range.

JoeyN

Auditioning
thanks for all of your input. I do have another question regarding THD. The Yamaha HTR-5760 has a THD percentage of .06 while the Pioneer VSX-1014 has .09%. Does a difference of .03% in THD make a significant difference in sound quality/clarity?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
No, not really.

Keep in mind that the 1014's auto setup also equalizes your speakers, the 5760 does not-only sets distance and levels.

Having owned the Yamaha RXV-1400, which is the same unit as the 5790, and a Pioneer VSX-45tx, precursor to the 1014, I would echo the statement that the 1014 is very much more equivalent to the 5790 than the 5760.

Ease of use, something you'll only know about once you get the thing home, is leaps better on the Pioneer, sound quality is at least as good, with MCACC vs none on the Yamaha definitely better.

Both are very reliable products.

JoeyN

Auditioning
So do you think the 1014 is the way to go? If so, would you know where I could get it $350 shipped?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Price grabber shows several trusted merchants on this on shipped in the $380-ish range. $350 is probably going to be tough, search often. Hit local businesses up for price matching, ect..ect....

John S

Senior HTF Member
I can use some of the features, some of the newer software would be pretty awesome too. I always wanted to try to by amp all my channels too. I think I may just pick one of these up somewhere with a 30day return policy and try to achieve my biamp goals using it and my Denon. Hehehe 14 power amps involved in that setup. :)

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Really will not find it less then $400 shipped right now from an authorized dealer.
Ordered mine yesterday for $399 shiped from jr.

Cam_Young

Auditioning
Both the 1014 and yamaha 5790 are great receivers. i just spent the last week and a half with both in my home going back and forth between them. what i found is that the pioneer has more of a pop to it when it comes to hard music such as rock. the yamaha is a little more reserved and because of that it seems to give it a little bit nicer sound. in the end i went with the yamaha becaues it was a sound i liked better and i enjoyed listening to the yamaha more when watchin satilite. id recommend both for sure there very nice amps.
ps even side by side it can be hell to choose which one to keep

JoeyN

Auditioning
I spoke with a pioneer rep and said that the only authorized dealer is Best Buy and that they will not honor any warranty from anyone else even online stores except Best Buy.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I don't think that's correct... He is saying best Buy is their only Authorized retailer period? I think not.

JoeyN

Auditioning
Yeah, I guess he didn't know what he was talking about or he probably didn't want me to buy it over the internet :). Do any of you know a website where it ranks the top brand name receivers? Thanks again for all your input.

JoeyN

Auditioning
by the way, does the 1014 have an optical input for the DVD? I've been using an optical cable because my old Yamaha rx-v530 only had the option for optical input for the DVD player. I read somewhere that the 1014 has optical for TV/SAT but not DVD, is this true? I could have read wrong on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks