New receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bruce Jr., Feb 1, 2005.

1. Bruce Jr.

Bruce Jr. Auditioning

I'm new to the forum and wanted to give a big HELLO to everyone!

I'm thinking of upgrading my Yamaha rx-v995 because it does not have any component inputs/outputs and I have DVD player, HD cable box, and HD TV. Would it be worth upgrading for this reason?

I was mainly looking at Yamaha stuff and had decided on the rx-v1500. But after coming to this forum I discovered the Pioneer vsx-1014 and it's great reviews. Now I'm a little confused on which one I should get and looking for some advice.

I will occasionally play music on it, but it's main funtion will be for movies. The speakers I currently use are Definitive Technology. I have ProMonitor 200s front, center is the ProCenter C2, rears are BP 1.2x, and the sub is a ProSub 200TL.

Which one of the two receivers would be better?

Are their any other receivers I should consider in this price range?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

2. Kent Y

Kent Y Auditioning

I'm using a Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi with Definitive BP-2004TL fronts, CLR2002 center and BP2X surrounds. I'm happy with the detail and warmth of the sound that the combo produces. I will probably eventually add a separate amp and use the receiver as a pre/pro, but it is doing the job well for now.

Of the two receivers you mention, I would probably favor the VSX-1014.

3. John S

John S Producer

The 1014 probably deservs a chance on this one. Maybe buy from a place with a good return policy to lessen any impact just in case you don't like it.

The specs are impressive, the reviews good, the price is relatively cheap, ect..ect...

I'd love to have one for a Saturday to see how it stacked up against a more flagship type AVR like my Denon 4802.

Almost cheap enough to buy just for the pre/pro section / video switching indeed.

4. Bruce Jr.

Bruce Jr. Auditioning

Thanks for the responses.

Anyone else have any advice?

TIA
    Bruce

5. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

I recently had the same problem. I prefer the sound of the Yamaha for music, but since my use is more movies/TV than music I went with the 1014 and saved a couple hundred dollars.

I found this review of the VSX-2014 (which appears to be a European(?) model similar to the 1014) and the RX-V1500. It's a PDF file and took a long time to load on my system.

http://www.yamaha.ca/av/PDFs/Reviews...Fi_RXV1500.pdf

6. Bruce Jr.

Bruce Jr. Auditioning

Thanks for the link Chuck_W![​IMG]

p.s. You webpage in nice...very informative!

7. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

Bruce - have you been able to demo either of these receivers?

8. Bruce Jr.

Bruce Jr. Auditioning

No not yet...but you must have read my mind because I was thinking of trying to do that this weekend.

Another receiver that I'm now considering is the Denon AVR-2105. It seems to be along the same lines and the Pioneer and Yamaha. Do you, or anyone else, have any experience and/or opinions on it?

9. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

Don't have any experience with it, but I don't think the 2105 has any auto-equalization in its set-up like the Rx-V1500 or VSX-1014 have in theirs.

10. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

Sounds like you are looking for a receiver with three component inputs...I don't think the Pioneer can handle three component inputs, but I think the Yamaha RXV 2500 can.