New Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by TravisKH, Jan 2, 2004.

1. TravisKH

TravisKH Auditioning

For instance, let's say I have a philips HTIB, can I get, say, a new sony receiver and still use the same speakers? Are there concerns with how many watts or so on? Thanks.

2. ChrisHall

ChrisHall Auditioning

as long as the reciever can handle what ever ohm the speakers are rated at, and the speakers can handle the wattage, i can see no ill effects from doing so.

3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Yes you can and it usually shouldn't be a problem, especially if the speakers in the HTIB are just satellites... unless they have a very low Ohm rating.

Also, I would avoid the lower-end Sony's just from personal experience.

4. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

As long as they don't have any proprietary speaker connections (something other than normal speaker wire - I've seen some HTIB sets w/plugs for connectors, which wouldn't work), they should work.

Instead of a Sony receiever, you might want to consider Panasonic or Pioneer models.

5. Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien Stunt Coordinator

I have owned a Pansonic SAHE100 for the past week, seems good so far. It replaced a 10 year old Sony Surround sound receiver. The old Sony receiver had a few more sound tailoring controls (bass, treble, and mid ) than the Panasonic, but other than that I'm happy to be in the Dolby Digital and DTS arena, the Panasonic can be had for around $220 if you look around. Low-end, but plenty good for me!