New receiver: Yamaha vs. HK vs. Onkyo

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by george.Legeza, Jan 14, 2003.

1. george.Legeza

george.Legeza Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone, since I've been in the spending mood lately I've decided to upgrade my current receiver (A budget Technics SA-DX950) to something a little better. I was thinking of going with seperates instead, but I've realized there's no way I can really afford to do so. I want to spend $400, but I can stretch my budget to $500 if there's something loads better in that price range. My big requirements right now are Dolby Prologic II and S-video/component switching. Here's what I'm considering:
    • Yamaha HTR5560
    • Harmon/Kardon AVR325 (this one is really pushing what I can afford, though...)
    • Onkyo TX-SR600
    So, if you were in my situation which of those would you pick as your new receiver? Or are there any other comparable receivers in that price range (or less, of course) that I should be seriously considering?
    Thanks a lot! [​IMG]

2. Ammon

Ammon Stunt Coordinator

I actually had the Technics model right below that, the SA-DX950. I just upgraded to the Denon 4802. If I were you, I would seriously look at upgrading to something higher level than what you are currently at. IMO I would try to save for a receiver in the $1000 range or better. When I first starting looking for an upgrade, I looked at comparable receivers. I noted that although they had a few more features, it was almost a side step. I decided to go with something that would last me a good little while, and also allow me to expand to bigger things later. I will soon be buying a house and one thing I am looking at doing is building a dedicated Home Theater. With that in mind, I was able to hook up with a friend that gave me a great deal on the Denon. It gave me the flexability of a smaller HT or later on moving towards a bigger HT.
    Now on the other hand, if you aren't worried about that, then I would look at the H/K. What you should also look for is if there are any friends you may know that work at a retail shop that sells any Home Theater equipment. One thing I noted was that there is an encredible markup on these things and you should never pay retail for anything! For your $500 you could be looking at a $1000 receiver if you found the right connection.
    Okay, I'm done with my speech! [​IMG]

3. george.Legeza

4. Ammon

Ammon Stunt Coordinator

In that case, I would recommend the H/K. Yamaha and Onkyo seem to be a bit too bright for my taste but the H/K that I have heard sounded great in both movies and music. You may want to look at one of the lower Denon's such as the 2802 or 1802. Perhaps some other people here have had a demo on all of these receivers together as I have only heard them seperatly!

5. Raphael O

Raphael O Stunt Coordinator

IMO out of the 3 you mentioned - ill go for the HK.

6. JauCheeze

JauCheeze Stunt Coordinator

If you live by a fry's, you can pick up the hk 520 for just $399. I just replaced my sr600 with the hk520.

7. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

Costco online has the Hk 325 for $499.00 and you can return it to your nearest costco if unhappy . This receiver is $799 most everywhre else. I just bought an AVR 225 and love it. Steer clear of the SR600 , not built like the old Onkyo's , and don't be dissuaded by HK's lower watt figures they are true high current designs and I believe the 325 outputs around 40 amps , 28 amps on my 225. That sucker, AVR 325, weighs 40 lbs vs. Sr600's 20 some lb's.

8. george.Legeza

Chris, a friend of mine actually just told me about the costco price for the HK. It's definitely looking good to me, I think I might buy one later this week. Thanks for all the advice, guys! [​IMG]

9. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

I got the H/K AVR-325 at Costco for 499.99 plus about $20 shipping plus tax. Other receivers in this price range don't even come close to the quality and sound. Other receivers I listened to were much more "boomy" (making the low frequencies a bit muddy), while the H/K is as flat (even amplification throughout a frequency sweep) as I've heard.

One local Circuit City will pricematch Costco, but I had to go up to the store manager to confirm it because the difference was $300! If I had to do it again, I think I would still go with Costco because of their ridiculously generous return policy (no warranty will come close).

All the best,

Tim

10. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

$500 looks like a great price for that H/K unit. Do owners of this model find it under powered at all? I saw it listed at 50x7.

11. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I have the H/K 120 which is 45X5 and it pumps out plenty of clean power. I can only imagine what the 325 puts out.

12. george.Legeza

Thanks a lot for all of the advice! I'm ordering the H/K right now. Can't wait until it gets here. [​IMG]