New Receiver Recommendations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Douglas D, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Douglas D

Douglas D Auditioning

I am setting up a home theater system in a small 12x20 room and could use some advice on what receiver might be recommended. I have purchased KEF speakers (Q65.2 mains, Q9c center,Q8s rears)and have listened to them at my local shop on a Denon 3802 receiver. My budget for the receiver will not allow me to spend more than $2000 but I don't want to overbuy for the size room I have. The unit will be used for music as well as the home theater duties. At this time I am considering the Denon AVR4802 but after reading a few threads here I am not convinced that I should be spending all this much money or that I might be able to get a better unit for the same money. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Douglas, I have had the denon 3801 and 4802, also used to own th kef q50. The denon/kef match is a good one.

The 3802 is a fine receiver ecspecially for home theater. If music is important to you I would go with the 4802 as it is incredible at music and home theater. At internet prices of 1700.00 I think it is a steal, just for the processor alone..pure direct mode is something to behold. I will also say that the 4802 internal amps can be beat easily by a 500.00 used external amp. The good thing about using the 4802 would be that you could use the back 4 amps for your 4 surrounds and buy an 2 or 3 channel amp for up front..

You are going to hear that you should get the outlaw for 900.00 and then by external amp which is also a great idea..it depends on your applications and if you want one box solution,,

3. Douglas D

Douglas D Auditioning

After doing some more reading on this forum I am thinking that buying a receiver as a pre/pro and then a good amplifier might be the way to go. If I was to go in this direction, would it make sense to purchase the Denon 3802 and then perhaps the Outlaw 750? Does the Denon 3802 have the same basic features as the 4802 with less powerful amplifiers? Since I have quite a few older movies I would prefer a unit with PL2 which would rule out the Outlaw 1050. The cost of a Denon 3802 and a Outlaw 750 would end up costing me the same money as a Denon 4802. Is this a better way to go?