New receiver recommendations anyone?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Naren C, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Naren C

Naren C Auditioning

Hello everyone...

I've been watching this forum for sometime as I've started on a project to build my home theater / entertainment system. The last time I did this was 15 yrs ago when I was putting together my stereo system which was centered around an Integra receiver. A lot has changed and I would appreciate the advise of those more up to date on the subject...

I am looking for opinions regarding a new A/V Receiver...

My system will consist of a Fujitsu plasma w/ either B & K or Niles speakers (still deciding between the two). The A/V Receiver will be used for Video and Audio 80% and 20% of the time respectively... HDTV/DVD/CD/SACD.

I've looked and listened to the Denon (4802) , Yamaha (RX-V3300), and Sony (DA3000ES) so far. I've preferred them in that order. I have yet to listen to the new Integras and Marantz receivers. I've been thinking about the Integra DTR-9.1U2 or DTR-8.3, and the Marantz SR9300.

I would like to hear from those who are more familiar with and have had more experience with these receivers. Any other suggestions would also be welcome. The only other requirement is that I need to drive stereo speakers in one other room (just for audio when I'm entertaining guests). I'm looking to finalize my system in a week and work on buying and installing everything soon after that.

Thanks,

Naren C

2. FrankHW

FrankHW Agent

Are you totally sold on a receiver? With the cost of the receivers you're looking at, you'd gain a ton of flexibility with separates from companies like Outlaw or Adcom.

If a receiver is your preferred option, Rotel is definitely worth taking a look at.

3. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I think you are in the right track, auditioning should be your priority, and buy what you like and what is inside your budget.

I have auditioned the marantz SR9300, and I was pretty impressed with the performance, but it cost to much for me. But its still a great reciever. The yammy 3300 is a great reciever also, but for my personal liking marantz does better what I like, but its personal preference. Sony is a good entry level brand, but IMO it cant compete with Maratz or Deneon at the price ranges you are looking. Another good brand that you might also look is Harman Kardon, the AVR7200 is a very good reciever, probably one of the best for the money, its very powerfull, and it doesnt coest as much as the SR9300. Another reciever you could audition is Pionner Elite 49Txi.

Franks suggestion is algo good, try to limit your budget and start audtioning inside your budget, and see what you like best, maybe you could even get into separetes.

Good luck with your setup,
    Pablo

4. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

The word is that the Rotel RSX-1055 has most of the performance of the RSP-1066. I liked the sound of it when I hear it, but it was too pricey for me (new at least).

If ebay is an option, you can find quite a number of fine items there for excellent prices. Same can be said for audiogon.

5. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

How soon do you want to do this deal? And what is your real budget target?

The reason for all the questions is that Pablo brought up the HK AVR-7200, and it's a pretty darned decent unit w/ real rated power, Logic7, and for today only (for cryin' out loud - I sound like a frickin' used car salesman!) it's available for $805 + shipping from OneCall (auth dlr). And I think you might be able to get it for maybe 3% off that if they're still doing the deals they used to do on their credit card?

I think you might have to go through GotApex.com to get that price. I'm not associated with/shilling for HK, OneCall, Apex, etc. (I just wish I'd held off 'til now 'cause I can't justify another toy). It's just an option, that's all, and one with a time limit. And if you don't want to do it today I'll bet they'll repeat the deal until they clear out any stock (now that the 7300 is announced).

Decide on the speakers - that's what makes the noise. These receivers (or even separates) mentioned above are "just" electronics and all are decent units in their own way, but it's the speakers that are key.

6. John S

John S Producer

I love my Denon 4802. If you like the sound of that one the best, that may just be the one. I auditioned a ton of separates and receivers before I bought it. I find I just like Denon power amps and the general way they sound best, especially on very horn oriented music.