What's new

New Receiver or Speakers? Another Vial Of Crack? Help! (1 Viewer)

Allen Gentry

Auditioning
My current system is a Phillips MX 920P HTIB. The only format it decodes is Dolby Digital Surround, or 4.1 Nothing else. I think I paid $299 3 or 4 years ago for it. MAybe it was $399. I don't remember. I really have nothing against it. It's been a fine system. Still is.

I have a Hi-Fi VCR, just bought a DVD player, and digital cable.

My new 52" RCA is being delivered Thursday.

I feel like I'm missing out with the new surround formats, such as DTS, or DD 5.1. I also feel like the sound could be better. Besides, doesn't a new TV require something new to go along with it?!

But I'm stuck with this low end stuff. What's gonna make the biggest difference in sound? New speakers? Or a new receiver?

I can't afford much. I'm basically starting over with entry level seperate components. I am looking at $200 receivers, and $100 bookshelf speakers, and a $140 center channel. And ya know, that's fine for me. I'm not a high end audio buff.

I was looking at an Aiwa AV-D58 receiver, Yamaha NS-6390 3 way bookshelf speakers, with a Yamaha NS-AC40X center, and some Bose 501x speakers for the rear channel. The Bose I've had sitting around for 5 years and never used them. Maybe it's time.

To save some cash, I'm temporarily gonna hook up the Phillips receiver to the Aiwa's subwoofer output. This will allow me to put off buying a powered sub for a while, and continue using my passive Phillips sub. Eventually I'll get one of Yamaha's powered subs and do away with the Phillips.

So am I on crack? Am I throwing money away? I'd most likely stick with this Aiwa/Yamaha/Bose system for quite some time. I probably wouldn't replace anything until it gave out and quit working.

Please help me. Or does it really not matter what I do because it's all low end stuff?

If it matters, the room is fairly small, with hardwood floors and a treyed ceiling (raised in the middle...not along the walls).

Thanks,

Allen

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Try spending your budget on a new receiver. You'll enjoy the new sound formats quite a bit, and it'll breathe life into your existing speakers until you can affoard better speakers. Spending little bits here and there won't be as satisfying, and cost more in the long run.

Allen Gentry

Auditioning
Better speakers than what I've got now, or better speakers than the Yamaha's I am looking at?

Thanks.

Allen

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks