What's new

New receiver or preamp? (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
My current receiver is the Onkyo 575x. In a couple of months, I will upgrade it to something in the $800 range. I know the usual suspects (Denon 3802 etc...) but I am wondering about this path: Would getting the Outlaw preamp and using it with the 5.1 inputs of my receiver yield better sound?
I know usually it is new receiver, then better amps. What do you think of new preamp section, then better amps? In case you didn't know, the Onkyo 575x lacks pre outs. If not, I would just have thrown in a couple of amps and voila!
Waddaya think?
--
Holadem

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
There are no preouts on the Onkyo 575X except for the sub. I'd buy a new receiver first. The 797 looks good from Onecall.

Vietor

Stunt Coordinator
I understand the question, but I don't have an answer for you. Sounds like a good idea to me though, sort of a half-way step to full sepperates. I mean if you get a new reciver your sorta locked into that path, and even if you do decide to just use it as a preamp at some point, then you will have amplification that you paid for, and is not being used. Seems sorta wasteful to me.
I know waht your thinking (I think), because I have thought about the same thing, if you can't make the direct more to preamp + amps, then why not get the preamp first because atleast you can use it. I doubt that that alone will give you any major bonus in sound quality, things will probably be about the same, but atleast you'll be able to play with your new toy, and whne the time comes to get those amps, you'll be ready.

Gordon C Jr

Stunt Coordinator
"I doubt that that alone will give you any major bonus in sound quality, things will probably be about the same, but atleast you'll be able to play with your new toy, and whne the time comes to get those amps, you'll be ready."
Vietor, I was asking the same question using a different approach in an earlier post about sound quality. The responses I received overwhelmingly (although seemingly controversial on sore spot among some here) was that upgrading Pre-Pro would make the most difference in sound quality and upgrading amplifier was secondary and should have little difference in sound quality. This seems to contradict what you are saying above. The reason I bring this up is that everyone seems to have differing opinions on ideal upgrade path from receiver to separates
I am contemplating the same move as Holadem, pre-amp or amplifier, and which to upgrade to move into separates.. And also have no pre-outs on my current receiver, but have the 5.1 inputs.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The responses I received overwhelmingly (although seemingly controversial on sore spot among some here) was that upgrading Pre-Pro would make the most difference in sound quality and upgrading amplifier was secondary and should have little difference in sound quality.
This surprised me as well. All we hear is amp warm, amp brihgt, amp grainy, amp this & that... and then all of a sudden in one thread everyone decides that the Pre-Pro was the most responsible for sound quality difference. Something smells fishy
wink.gif

--
Holadem

Gordon C Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Holadem,
My mistake... I thought about that after I sent it and there was not an overwelming response one way or the other, just a heated debate that skewed the actual topic…
And after I read my post again, it didn’t sound correct… Basically, it seemed as if you initial assessment was correct.. Sorry, for the negative post, I’ll never question you again..
blush.gif

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum14/HTML/046181.html

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Holadem,
I'll throw in my inexperienced thoughts here. I would think from a sound quality perspective that you'd be losing out by going in this direction, if I understand the Onkyo unit's operation correctly. If you're going to feed the output of a separate controller (e.g., Outlaw 950) into the 5.1 inputs of the Onkyo (probably minus the sub), I would think that the signals would still be processed by the Onkyo's processor portion before the signals are passed on to the amp section. If a receiver had amp inputs, it could make sense to replace the processor as a viable path towards separates (and I'm not getting into whether the processor or amp is the better first upgrade). But unless the Onkyo had a way to bypass all processing for signals enteringh via the 5.1 inputs (other than, say, volume control), it appears as if this arrangement adds electronics to the path that will most likely have a negative impact on the sound quality, possibly even if you used analog bypass on the 950 for your analog sources.
Now, if you wanted to add the 950 in order to obtain a feature or two not available via the Onkyo, then it may be worthwhile to you, but one would have to weigh the pros and cons.
If I'm off base on this assessment, please let me know.
Doug
------------------
"Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

JerryW

Supporting Actor
if I understand the Onkyo unit's operation correctly. If you're going to feed the output of a separate controller (e.g., Outlaw 950) into the 5.1 inputs of the Onkyo (probably minus the sub), I would think that the signals would still be processed by the Onkyo's processor portion before the signals are passed on to the amp section.
That's incorrect. By hooking up the 950 (or any prepro) to the Onkyo's 5.1 channel Multi-Input you would be bypassing all of the receiver's processing and simply using the 575x's 70wpc amps (which are some of the best I've ever heard in a receiver of it's class).
Holadem, I think this is a pretty good idea and would allow you to buy amps as you can afford them while getting the advantage of having a very good pre/pro. Just pickup an inexpensive 2 channel amp for EX/ES and you'd be set for a while (until you decide to upgrade to a nice amp or amps).
------------------
September 11, 2001
"Those who died will always be remembered.
Those who killed will never be forgotten.
We who remain will not let it happen again."

Alex F.

Second Unit
In order to minimize multiple upgrades I would make a decision based on where I'd want to be long term. For instance, I plan to retain my current preamp until SACD and/or DVD-Audio get sorted out and direct digital player outputs for either/both formats finally become available.
Once software and hardware manufacturers agree to a copy-protection system, the new players will have a digital output, while preamps and receivers will contain the appropriate input. This will provide better playback quality and no more bass-management problems. This will likely happen in another two years or so.
Thus, assuming I had a receiver that was providing satisfactory performance, I wouldn't want to upgrade to a preamp now and then do it again in maybe a couple of years. I would stay put for awhile and save for both a superb preamp (equipped with the new digital inputs) and a terrific power amp. In the meantime, if an overwhelming urge to upgrade hit me, I'd consider other changes to my system. (Home-theater preamp manufacturers who may be reading this probably just clutched their chests as they await a heart attack.)
Have a nice weekend!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks