What's new

New Receiver or Add Amp? (1 Viewer)

MarianneS

Auditioning
Have a onkyo TX-SR600 Receiver. We are building a home theater room and have budgeted up to $2000 to purchase a new receiver but have been told that we should look at seperates. Have no hands on experience with seperates but it looks like to buy both amp & pre-amp is out of our budget. So would you buy a new recever - suggestions have been Yamaha 2400 OR would it be a consideration to buy a amp for the current receiver and in a year or so build on amp and upgrade to a pre - amp when we saved a little more money.

Trying to look at all options - should this even be a consideration? If so what amps to look at?

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Separates under $2K? Well, since this HTF I suppose we do have to make the obligatory Outlaw.com reference - and there is nothing wrong w/ picking up an Outlaw stack for well under $2K.

And something like an Outlaw amp may make a logical amp-only addition to your current Onkyo 600 - you have choices like the 7100 and 7700 & let your budget be your conscience.

Separates surely aren't an absolute requirement, either. There are many very, very good receivers in that price range that will do the trick just fine. W/ the deals available now on something like an HK-7200 that could be one top pick, but there are many other brands & models just as good.

You probably should consider this part after you've got your speakers all chosen. Many folks prefer certain types of sounds and speaker/electronics combinations - if that matters to you I'd just suggest you settle on the speakers first and only then select any new electronics.

MarianneS

Auditioning
I'm probably going to go with Paridigm Studio series speakers.

I just want the best bang for buck that will offer the clearest detail in sound quality. Would an amplifier be the right choice or the top end receiver???

The outlaw web site reviews are all good -i guess they would not post bad reviews.

Best Advice?

AndrewKC

Agent
If you are fine with the features and processing abilities of your current receiver, I would suggest going for the amp add-on route since it is most cost effective. However, if you want the latest formats like prologic IIx, the Yamaha is a very attractive choice. You could then add the amp later on if you feel the power is insufficient.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I believe the Onkyo 600 doesn't have pre-outs for anything except the Subwoofer. For Onkyo you have to have the 700 model and up for pre-outs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks