New receiver: onkyo, yamaha or denon?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Stephen Gladwin, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Stephen Gladwin

Stephen Gladwin Stunt Coordinator

Well, it's become clear to me that I need to buy a new receiver ever since I've had to crank my Sony htib receiver to level 55 (level 70 max volume) to get a pleasing volume. Basically, I'm afraid I'm overtaxing my new JBL Northridge speakers (E80s for L/R, EC35 for center) b/c of my underpowered receiver. So, now for some receiver questions:

I have a fairly large room (9 x 19 x 13) and I really can't spend more than $300 (closer to $200 if possible) and I'd ideally want a 6.1 receiver so I can add another surround speaker in the future. *My main concern is having a powerful enough receiver to safely and accurately drive my speakers to fill my room.

Whenever I read about quality receivers, three brands always come up: Denon, Onkyo, and Yamaha. Which brand (or models) do you think would give me the most power for my buck? So far, some contenders are the Denon AVR-485S, Denon AVR-1705, and the Yamaha HTR-5740. I'm not very "experienced" with Onkyo receivers, so maybe you guys could recommend a few good ones within my price range?

***Finally, a general question: do you recommend refurbished receivers? I think with some of these receivers (especially the Denons) I might have to go that route to afford them. Are they reliable and covered by some warranty? THANK YOU AGAIN!

2. Dan J

Dan J Agent

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

There is a tremendous amount of discussion of Pioneer, especially the 1014 and 1015.

I would add the Pioneer 915 to my list. You can probably get one new for about $300.