New receiver, new speakers...some suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chauncey_G, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

A friend of mine is replacing his receiver and speakers, and is looking to spend $1000 for the speakers (just the mains) and $1000 for the receiver.
    He's looked at Yamaha, Onkyo 797 (I think that's the right mondel #). He's probably going to go out and look at Marantz. I'd like him to look at Denon as well, but I don't know of a dealer near him.
    As far as speakers, he's leaning toward Infinity IL40's as his mains. Those are really the only speakers he's auditioned other than Bose.
    So what I'd like to know is, in the above price ranges, are there any suggestions for things to look at that he hasn't yet? Any big-time recommendations? Anything to stay away from?
    Any and all advise is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

I think it is time to take him to a few audio specialty stores in your area. More along the lines of high end. But, right now you have $2K to work with for the receiver and speakers. Does he need a sub too? If so, look at the Ascend Acoustic CBM-170 package w/HSU VTF-2 sub and he can get the Denon AVR-2802 receiver, if not the 3802 (though that might be stretching it). If not, the nOrh 4.0 package and Denon AVR-3802 will work. Other speakers he should look at are ACI Opals , Swan Diva 5.1s , Paradigm Studio 60s, B&W DM 603 S2, Def Tech BP 10, and Dynaudio Audience 60.

3. Steve Schick

Steve Schick Stunt Coordinator

Chauncey, First of all, what does your friend plan on using these for? Will the system be primarily used for home theater or more for music?
    If used for HT, I have and suggest Denon 3802 and HomeTheaterDirect Level III speakers (tower fronts) from www.hometheaterdirect.com A very good combination, IMO.
    Then later he could add a sub like a HSU VTF-2($450) or an SVS ($650 to ?)
    ------------------
    You liked the movie? ......Try it on a nine foot screen.
    My DVD Profiler Collection

4. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

Thanks, guys!
    Steve, I think he's going to be using it mostly for HT, though some music will probably be played on it. Thanks for the suggestions.

5. MarshawnM

MarshawnM Stunt Coordinator

Chauncey,
    I had the IL40 as fronts with the IL30 in back and IL25c for my center channel. This setup sounded good, until I heard B&W's. For front channels now I'm running B&W 603 S2, with 602 S2's in the rear, and the LCR 6 for a center, I couldn't be happier. As for receivers, in the price range that you mentioned, I would review the Denon 3802 and the Onkyo 797. I have the 787, and I will be upgrading to the 797 in the fall. When I had the Infinity's, the Denon sound really harsh (bright), the Onkyo sound more natural (it did sound bright as well but not as bright as the Denon). You have to allow for burn in time, but the Denon just jumped out at me too much even for new speakers. Either way he can't go wrong, with the Denon or Onkyo. I think that the Onkyo just gives you more for your money.
    Marshawn

6. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Chauncey,
    If your friend is interested in discussing the purchase of a complete set of Interludes that are five months old and in mint condition, please have him E-Mail me at [email protected] They are a pair of IL40's, a pair of IL30's and one IL36C center. They do not have a scratch on them.
    Thanks,
    Russ