What's new

New receiver...new questions! (1 Viewer)

Stephen Gladwin

Stunt Coordinator
OK--new receiver (DENON AVR-1705, 75w/ch) and ... new questions of course:D I've found that a pleasing volume level rates a "-25" or so on the volume scale on the receiver. The receiver goes from -70 to +18. Also, the speakers are set to "large" b/c if I set them to "small" the bass sounds too localized. So that means the bass is reproduced in the speakers as well (doesn't that mean the amp has to work harder?). Now, I realize that's cranking it a bit (or is it lol), but then I thought that part of the reason you buy a higher quality receiver is for its better circuitry and power handling, so it's less likely to send a clipped signal. After a movie, the receiver is warm, but nowhere near as HOT as my Sony htib receiver. **Is this a good sign that the receiver/amp isn't being overburdened? I also don't hear any distortion/fuzziness from speakers at anytime during playback at this volume. BTW: My L/R fronts are JBL E80s (sensitivity at 91db), and an EC35 for center (91db sensitivity).

***So basically my main question: at these levels and with my new, better receiver, ARE MY SPEAKERS SAFE FROM DAMAGE?

John S

Senior HTF Member
yes.. Denon makes quality stuff, I don't think your in any increased danger of an untimely dimisse of your tweets.

Doesn't the AVR allow you to move your x-over point around? If the sub was to localized, that would mean you need to move the xover frequency down, not usually defeat it all together.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Ditto what john said. You didn't mention if you have a sub. The "large" and "small" settings are to be used when you do not have a sub (large) and do have a sub (small). The crossover point set in the receiver then determines at what freq sound is sent to the speakers vs. the sub. Most set it somewhere between 60 and 80, tho it would depend on your speakers. If you can help it, you don't want to use both your sub and speakers with receiver set to large, because the bass will be duplicated. It might sound fine for one movie/music, but off for other movies/music and drive you batty.

Noticing you said the bass sounded "localized" makes it sound like you do have a sub. Does the sub have a crossover? Is it set all the way to full (let the receiver's crossover do the work)?

Stephen Gladwin

Stunt Coordinator
Yes I have an SVS PB10 sub and it doesn't have its own crossover setting. I actually just fiddled with the receiver again and managed to get flat bass with all speakers set to "small" and no bass doubling for the speakers. Crossover set to 80hz. *I also have the receiver's sub level only at around -1, and the sub's own volume control higher (like around the "2 o'clock" position). Does this also help lessen the burden on the receiver?

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
Yes it does lessen the pull on the receiver. Not sure if you will actually notice that it does....but it does.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Yes it helps the AVR quite a bit by not having to service the below 80hz so much.

Setting the xover higher helps the AVR/main Speakers and burdens the sub more, setting the xover lower helps the sub and burdens the AVR/AMP's/Main speakers more.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Setting it lower would also reduce your likelihood of hearing the bass localized in the sub by allowing your speakers to go lower.

Stephen Gladwin

Stunt Coordinator
Another question, this time regarding video upconversion. The AVR-1705 offers this, and says "...The AVR-1705's MONITOR OUT jack can be connected to the monitor (TV) with a set of cables offering a higher quality connection, regardless of how the player and the AVR-1705's video input jacks are connected."

Now, the way I connect the monitor to the AVR this way is to use a "75ohm coaxial video pin plug cord." I don't have one of these and saw online that they go for $50 a pop! *So my question: is it worth the $50 to take advantage of the upconversion feature? Will my VHS tapes REALLY look that better if I upconvert them to component video? Thanks! And thanks so far on the prompt feedback on my other questions:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks