What's new

New Receiver Needed? (1 Viewer)

MikeWilson

Auditioning
I've been building my system slowly over the past two to three years and finally have a completed set with a nice tv and 5.1 setup. The first piece I bought was the receiver, a Pioneer VSX-409. I have a full set of HTD Level 3's connected to it, and a Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer.

I've had a few people tell me that the receiver is the "weakest link" in my system, and that it should be upgraded. I do sometimes feel that my system lacks the "punch" it should have, considering the amount of money I've put into it. While I do have some money to work with now that I'm out of school, I don't have enough to throw it around on a brand new receiver if it's not justified. Will I get much of an upgrade by getting a "real" receiver like a Denon 1800 or Onkyo 600?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on the subject!

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Mike,

Personally, I don't think you'll get as big an improvement from a new receiver as you would from a new subwoofer. Whether you go with a new receiver or a new sub, I would try to save up for a quality unit. If I had put off some of my initial purchases a while (especially right after I got out of school) and gotten better stuff to begin with, I would have saved myself a ton of money and headaches!

-Robb

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well if you feel it lacks punch in terms of bass then it's all the subwoofer... if you just feel it isn't putting out enough volume perhaps it is time for an upgrade.

I would recommend the Harman/Kardon AVR-125 or even the 225 if you can afford it. They are both nice pieces and should go very well. They offer alot of power. Don't be fooled though even though HK only says there recievers are rated at about 50W they are under-rated and outperform 9 out of 10 other recievers in the same range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks