New receiver, loss of Bass

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by timZa, Jun 2, 2006.

1. timZa

timZa Stunt Coordinator

I got a new Onkyo TX-SR603X. i know it's no high end unit, but after replacing my kenwood seems to be loss of LFE. i have it hooked up to a Velodyne CHT 12.
    This sub use to be more then enough power, now i have to turn the subs volume all the way up to get the Bass i want. i went thru setup several times, set the internal cross over etc. can you guys think of any thing off hand i may be missing? thank's.

2. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

How are your speakers configured? Large? Small?

3. timZa

timZa Stunt Coordinator

They are set to small. i did the set up with mic and it set them to small which is correct for the speakers. it could be me i guess. i moved into this house a year ago. i lost interest in the system, and there for didn't pay much attention to it. the room it's in is all ceramic tile floor.i am wondering if it is the location is not correct or maybe i need a more powerful sub. the room is 18x26. i'm ready to order a SVS!

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Probably the sub is in the wrong location. I was trying to cure a slight muddiness in my centre channel by moving my subwoofer to a corner of the room (variable phase might well helped...). During re-calibration, I dropped by subwoofer gain by, oh, six or seven dB.

I haven't had the time to do this, but some suggest placing the subwoofer at the listening position, playing a test tone, and moving about (on hands and knees) the room to find the location where it's loudest. Then move the sub to that location.

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...g_for_bass.php

5. timZa

timZa Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for that link. this is the first thing i read:

Connect the "Sub Out" of your Receiver / Preamp Processor using an RCA cable into a Y-cable into the "L" and "R" inputs of your subwoofer. Note: Unless otherwise stated by the manufacturer, be sure to utilize both inputs of the sub as many subs sum the "L" + "R" inputs to yield a 6 dB gain from the input voltage of the processor

I only have a single going into the left, im gonna try a new cable to give me left and right.

I hope that does it because i only have 1 other corner of the room to try, i can't put it any other place[​IMG] thank you for your help.