New receiver, inferior speakers, help!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by David.Hagar, Jan 6, 2005.

1. David.Hagar

David.Hagar Auditioning

So I just bought a Denon 5805 receiver. Before I had a kenwood receiver and some, I guess, decent Sony bookshelves.

I am wanting to purchase a house soon, new construction, so I will be able to do what I want with setting up a home theater.

The room size I want will hopefully be about 20x25-30ft. I want to spend about 15-20k on speakers. I am a newbie and so I am suspect to going in to Ultimate Electronics, like I did today, and the guy shows me some Kef speakers. They were running about 3500. They sounded great but again, I am accustomed to bookshelf speakers. I know I shouldn't be buying speakers from places like Ultimate Electronics and so forth so this is where I am looking for your guys experience.

Where should I buy and what kind should I buy? Hopefully my estimate for speakers will result in a very decent sound stage. The guy at Ultimate also told me about some overhead sound effects speaker that runs off of a different decoder.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Did that thing come with a dolly? [​IMG] What's wrong with KEF? If you liked the way they sounded, go with them. They make bookshelf speakers in every one of their lines. Which of the KEF lines?

3. David.Hagar

David.Hagar Auditioning

Not saying that there is really anything wrong with Kef. Just a newbie when it come to speakers and I was looking for opinions.

The ones he was showing me were the Kef 205 Reference. Like I said awesome sound but then again i am a newbie and was wondering if there is something I can be purchasing for the same price but better quality.

Late

4. John Garcia

John
    Check your area for Paradigm and B&W dealers. Give the Paradigm Studio line and the B&W CM and 700 series a listen.

www.paradigm.ca
    www.bwspeakers.com (site is kind of messed up right now).

Online, you might want to look at www.av123.com and see if any of their speakers are in your area for audition at www.audioenvy.com

It's a start.

5. MikeDuke

MikeDuke Stunt Coordinator

15-20K on speakers is a very nice range. You could get a JM Labs Electra set up with a subutopia Be for that much money. You might want to try Dynaudio as well. If you want book shelf speakers the Micro Utopia Be's list for $6000. You should try to focus in on the specialty stores. There list of higher end equipment will be better. For Ex: The place I bought my stuff from sold JM Labs, Wilson Audio, Dynaudio, Martin Logan, Krell, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Audio Research. All good stuff. Those are the brand's I know. I am sure that there are others that are great as well. Just to give you some ideas. You should get a killer set up for that much. But just remember, just because you spend a lot of money, it is no guarantee of good sound. Let your ears tell you what is good.

Also Your receiver looks like a good one. But with speakers at this level, in order to get that sound stage that you want, you will eventually need to move to separates. It is almost a requirement with speakers at this level. Just my thoughts. Good luck in your quest.
    Mike D

6. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Auditioning

$15-20K!!! Well, you've got a lot of options. If you want to spend it all, go for a Wilson Audio setup. If you're looking for something a little more reasonably priced, try the Onix Reference.

Both of these setups would run much better off quality seperates, but the Denon would work.

7. David.Hagar

David.Hagar Auditioning

Mike, what do you mean by seperates?

8. MikeDuke

I meam a separate Amp and Pre amp. Right now the Denon does the processing and amplification. When you go to separates you have a separate Pre amp and amps. For ex. I had a denon 3300 reciver. Then I added one amp to it. A bryston 5B-st. Then I added a second one. A Bryston 4B-st. Then I got the Krell showcase for my preamp. The changes were incredible each time I did it. Now That denon that you have is kick butt, no doubt. But I don't think that even those amps or processor can match what a good separate amp or preamp can do.
    But You are most definitely on the correct road

9. John Garcia

John
    Did I miss that? $20K on speakers, is that correct? I'd have them custom built for that kind of $$ [​IMG]

10. Mike^C

Mike^C Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    In that price range, you might wanna check out the speaker and "ultra high end" forum on AVS. They have guys over ther more experienced than most of us (myself included!) who play in a less expensive arena.

11. Oren Paul

Oren Paul Stunt Coordinator

If I had that kind of money to spend on a speaker system, I would make sure to audition the Magnepan offerings before I spent a dime. I have a good "mid-fi" system and consider the Magnepans ture "hi-fi".

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Best recommendation I can think of is just to go out and listen and think what it is you want your HT to look like. Things like the type of display, seating, furnishing are all bound to eat up money. I wouldn't be buying any speakers until I had that house built because I would certainly want to have the ability to audition them in the home.

13. Benihana

Benihana Stunt Coordinator

man, $20k on speakers, you shouldnt have to spend that much on speakers to get high end sound, i'm sure you can spend almost less than half of that and get an amazing system that will woo all your friends and family and yourself, and save the money for something else, like paying off the mortgage on your new house(most important [​IMG] ). And don't worry about speaker brands too much, listen to alot and get the ones that appeal to your needs, just don't pick the first one you listen too. the denon should drive alot of speakers sufficiently, and should be good for a room your size.

14. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

20k on speakers driven by a Denon receiver is like hooking up Secretariat (in his prime) to a milk cart.

Friend, with statements like "what are separates" and your upgrade plan, you need to spend several months getting educated before you spend a dime. For your own good.

15. MikeDuke

I have to agree with Elinor on this one. You should definitely do some research on separates and and take your time. There is no need to rush here. Let me say this. When I first got into this world, I read everything I could on the subject of home theater. I read magazine articles, I read on line articles. I learned what all of the terms meant. When I finally went and was serious about my moves, the sales person was impressed. He could tell that I did my work. You need to do the same. This is not meant to discourage you, it is only said so that you don't waste your money.

I am not made of money but I have put together what I think is a killer setup. I did it over time and doing my research. This is what you need to do. You need to do the research now.

16. JimMIT

JimMIT Stunt Coordinator

Jim
    I agree with most of what everyone has said so far. But before you build your home theater -- whether or not it will be a dedicated HT or part of your family room -- you should at least have a vision of what you want your HT to look like. I mean, before you have your house wired, you should know if you want 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, whether or not you want floor standing mains, whether you want in-wall speakers, whether you want one or two subs, whether you want to have your mains built into a home entertainment center (wall unit), etc. I think you need to give that some thought as well as spending alot of time reading audio forums, visiting high end audio shops, asking alot of questions, etc.

Also, you will want to consider whether or not the ancillary items that you may need/want will come out of your 20k budget -- whole house wiring, ceiling speakers in other rooms, outdoor/patior speakers, wall mounted volume controls, power conditioner, UPS, universal remote, etc. It all adds up.

I'm sure you know that it is a whole heck of alot less expensive to wire your house before the sheetrock goes up than after. So, even if you don't plan to put speakers in every room, you might consider going ahead and wiring every room anyway. If you're spending that kind of money on audio, you might also consider looking into an audio installation/home automation company. Many of them can offer some great advice; the downside is that they usually only carry a limited selection of gear and they do expect you to purchase your gear from them if they do the installation.

Good luck!

17. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

Linn makes some very sweet sounding speakers as well, and Canton, their Karat series.