New receiver dead after 10 minutes of use. Why?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Mudie, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Steve Mudie

Steve Mudie Auditioning

After campaigning with my wife for some time that we needed a HTS I was given the green light to buy a system.
    Being a newbie to HT I decided by best route (to start) would be with a HTIB so after reading around a bit I went with a Sony HT-DDW740. It's status as a Consumer Reports "Best Buy" swayed me the most.
    So...
    I get the prize home and tear into the task of hooking it all up. No manual needed here (I thought). After hooking up all 5 speakers and the sub (properly) I set to making the link between my DVD and the reciever. Left-Right-Video, how hard can it be?
    Okay, picture and sound work but not really what I expected, and then... Boom!
    No, there really wasn't an explosion but the brand new receiver DIED. I had noticed that it was throwing some heat soon after I turned it on but dismissed it since my old (15 years old) receiver also gets hot when in use. Needless to say I was quite depressed as "Movie Night" vaporized.
    A quick return a couple of days later and I had replacement. This time I read the instructions. Hmmm... Digital output from DVD to digital input then video only "through" the receiver. No "Left-Right-Video" and Walla! It works.[​IMG]
    I realize now that "Yes Steve, a simple single RCA type wire will carry the DIGITAL information (ie: sound) to the receiver and the old L-R-V doesn't apply here". Sorry, it was a major Duh move on my part.:b
    My question is; Could my L-R-V from DVD then L-R-V to TV have caused the heat build up and premature death of my new unit?
    I've read the FAQ and been browsing the forum for hours but nothing I found seemed to address this specifically.
    Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer on this as I feel somehow responsible for the death of the receiver. Or did I just get a lemon first try out the gate?
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Not really possible- sounds more like a lemon to me. If it makes you feel any better, my first receiver was on a train that derailed in route from the dealer to me... took 2 weeks to get a replacement unit from the authorized repair center.

-V

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Good quality receivers and amplifiers should not die horribly over this, but speaker wires shorted together will cause problems. If you are simply connecting the bare ends of wires, be very careful that loose strands do not contact the other terminal or nearby metal.
    If sound is scratchy or weak or nonexistent, most likely noticed if just one channel is affected, do not crank up the volume as this will increase the chance of something blowing due to shorted wires.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Steve Mudie

Steve Mudie Auditioning

Thanks for the replies.

As for the speaker wires, there was a "warning" paper taped to the top of the receiver illustrating the need to hook up the speaker wires without crossing them etc. so as such I took special care when hooking it all up matching the black stripped wire with the black terminal on both ends etc. As well as avoiding any overlap/shorting.

The whole thing makes me wonder just how much of a quality check they go through at the factory. Is it a simple power up step through the features or a good burn in?

Steve

5. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Damn Steve, sounds like you bought a real train wreck! Sorry Vince. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    All this talk of over heating makes me think of my Technics reciever, you can fry an egg on that puppy after about ten minuets! [​IMG]