New receiver and end of songs on ends are skipped

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave_Whiting, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Dave_Whiting

Dave_Whiting Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

I recently bought a Harman Kardon avr 220 reciever. It is plugged into a philips dvd player. Well when I play cd's, it seems to cut off the last second or so of each song before going on to the next one. Is this a common occurence?? Its pretty annoying. Also is this due to the receiver or the dvd player?

The dvd player is plugged into the avr via a coxial digital cable.

2. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

Hi Dave,

I'm not 100% sure about this, but:

This is probably due to the receiver auto detecting the digital signal format. Are you sure it's the end of each track and not the beginning? If it's the beginning, then I think it makes more sense - the auto detect function on the digital input on the receiver takes a little while to determine the nature of the signal - it is muting the output while it decides whether it's DTS/AC3 or PCM. Thus, the splits. IMO this shouldn't be happening. Talk to the store (Listening post?) and get them to sort it out. It may be a compatibility issue with the player/receiver. At worst, you could hook up the stereo out of the dvd player to another of the 220's inputs to get CD playback on another input - a workaround, but not a solution

I'm sure that Listening Post (Or whoever you bought from) will not hesitate to sort you out. It may mean taking your DVD and receiver to the store and getting them to try with another to sort it out.

Cheers
    Jonathan

3. Dave_Whiting

Dave_Whiting Stunt Coordinator

Well,

Well I thought it might be the digital input, but I changed it to analogue and it still happens. I then plugged in the computer and used its cd-rom (via analogue), well that worked fine. I also plugged in a portable cd player, well that worked fine. Conclusion: dvd player suxs. Its the new philips 736k. I suppose I should plug the dvd player into something esle to test it.

Bye