New RCA 52" HDTV w/ 16:9 mode at BB-SUPERB image,any problems?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MTrotter, Dec 9, 2001.

1. MTrotter

MTrotter Stunt Coordinator

Marc
    Just saw this(model D52130) at Best Buy. It was next to the Pioneer SD533, Sony 57", and Toshiba ws. It is a 4:3 set, but unlike the earlier MM52100, has 16:9 mode for anamorphic DVD's. The picture on the HD loop is astounding in focus and sharpness without being any grainier than the other sets. I mean, it is better than any of the other sets there. The Pioneer and Sony have a noticeably softer picture with less detail. The color was good, but may not be quite as good as the Pioneer, but this sells for $1000 less. Of course, the 16:9 image was a little smaller(about 48") than the ws sets, but not by much. Of course, it was at first in the wrong aspect setting, but I switched it to 16:9.

It has an automatic convergence feature, but I was not able to use it, so I don't yet know how good you can get the convergence all over the screen. I did use the manual convergence, which worked in the middle, but the left side was still a little off.

Has anybody used or bought this set? How is the line doubler on cable signals?

2. MTrotter

Marc
    Anybody??

3. Matt Barrett

Matt Barrett Extra

I just saw the same model last night at Circuit City, the salesman said they just got it in a few weeks ago. It's phenomenal, probably the best picture I have ever seen on a projection TV.

Apparently there is the 52" and the D61130 which is a 61" version of the same thing.

I would love to hear from others about this unit.

4. MTrotter

Marc
    Matt,

I was able to evaluate this set at another local store which has the sense to have their sets hooked up to local cable, and the RCA didn't fare as well in that test. The great image I had seen was on the HD demo loop they have at Best Buy, and it was a phenomenal image. However, I do watch a lot of cable TV. While watching Fox News Channel, the RCA had significantly more dot crawl than the Sony KP53 or the Hitachi. The color accuracy was not close to the

Sony either. Nor was the black level and power supply as good either. Not that the RCA is a bad set. Actually, as a cheap way to view progressive scan DVD, it may still be a good buy, but we watch too much regular TV at my house to go with it. That is, unless the unit had something wrong with it.

Marc