What's new

New R2 Battle Royale (1 Viewer)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
The Japanese (Teoi) disc is the extended cut and has no English subs.
According to the Bullets N Babes review, Teoi did 2 releases: the original release, which is the shorter cut, and the extended cut. The new Tartan R0 disc is the same as the original cut that Toei put out.

DJ

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's TOEI, pronounced "Toe-ay"

All discs are the original cut except for the recently released SE

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I ordered it on Amazon UK. If it turns out somewhere else gets it for a similar price before Amazon can ship I'll cancel and reorder. At least I know I'm in the queue whenever Amazon does get it.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I emailed HKFlix about the new Tartan release. They were under the impression that it's R2. I sent them the Bullets N' Babes and Amazon UK info. I'm waiting to hear back.

EDIT: I heard back from HKFlix. They're going to order some copies this week. They said they'd have it in stock sometime next week. I don't know what the price point will be but, if things go according to Hoyle, they'll have it before Amazon and it's another option.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
I really don't think it was released yet. I think BNB just got an advanced review copy.

Even if you look at Amazon UK, it shows they don't have it yet.

Tartan did this with Trauma, saying it would be released a few months back... then they pushed it back (quietly) to the end of July.

I just got a Tartan Release schedule and BR isn't even listed through July. Hmm.. more checking to be done:

Tartan May-June-July Releases:

Business is Business,Freezer(!!),Red Squirrel,Soldier of Orange, Turkish Delight,A Ma Soeur,DOA(!!),Vacas,Bangkok Dangerous,Element of Crime,Europe,Trauma

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Sweet. How long does it usually take to get to you from Amazon? I'd like to have a second opinion before I buy it.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I dunno how long it will take. I didn't upgrade the shipping so it's coming Royal Post. Anybody care to put forth an estimate?

EDIT: Amazon UK's website estimates I should get the disc sometime between the 18th and the 20th.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I got my Tartan NTSC R0 disc in the mail today from Amazon UK. I'll watch it tonight and post any comments I have afterwards.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Just finished watching the film.

Firstly, I had not seen it before. It is a brutal, brutal, brutal film but it is also a great film. The way they're able to juxtapose beauty with savagery is amazing.

I can't compare this transfer to any other because I don't own any of the other discs to compare it too but this transfer is excellent. Perhaps someone with a setup larger than my 27" Wega can find things wrong with it but I couldn't. It looked flawless.

The 5.1 soundtrack is also very well done. The surrounds are used agressively and with great effect. There's some nice bass thrown in there as well.

A couple of notes on the disc and package itself:

The box is a bit misleading. Firstly, on the front it says "For Progressive Scan Players" insinuating that it will only work in those players. Obviously, this is in error. It is an anamorphic widescreen release however.

Secondly, the front and the back of the box prominently display that this is an NTSC release. This is correct. However, in the list of technical details (next to the list of special features on the back of the box), it is incorrectly listed as a PAL disc.

Thirdly, there is no way to toggle audio or subtitles from the film's menu. There is no languages or options menu. Subtitles (English) are active by default.

There are a couple of extras: a filmography, 4 stills, some film notes by Mark Wyatt, and the original theatrical trailer. The trailer is also subtitled in English which was nice.

EDIT: The box correctly lists the disc as Region 0 and it played flawlessly in my Region 1 Sony DVD player.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Hey Damian,

Yep. It played flawlessly on my un-modded, un-jerryrigged Sony DVP-S360 player.

The box does correctly list the disc as Region 0 both in the technical details and with the proper symbol on the bottom of the box (next to the DD and DVD symbols).

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Buy it while you can, I'll be VERY suprised if Toei continues to allow it to be R0

Japanese companies tend to get pissy about R0 titles that are cheaper and of equal/better quality to their domestics. (It uses the same transfer as the J disc)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks