New QUEEN A Night At The Opera DVD coming...!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Mack, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hey Michael, all Queen fans,

I'm kinda glad that I held off on getting the DVD-A of this landmark album as they are now releasing a DVD in the UK on halloween with videos (old and newly made) for each track. I'm SURE this will be released here as well. And if they release this in DTS 96/24 as they have for their GVHits 1, 11 and Live at Milton Keynes dvds, should be PRETTY awesome...

QUEEN - A Night At The Opera (30th Anniversary Edition CD+DVD)
    Price: £9.99 Release/Despatch Date: Monday Oct 31

Death On Two Legs
    Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon
    You're My Best Friend
    I'm In Love With My Car
    Sweet Lady
    Seaside Rendezvous
    Good Company
    '39
    Prophets Song
    Love Of My Life
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    God Save The Queen
    DVD: (Pal System, Region 0)
    Feature The Entire Album In DTS 5.1 Surround Sound And Re-mastered Stereo Mix
    Death On Two Legs (New Video Featuring Archive Live Footage)
    Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon (Picture Gallery Featuring Rare And Previously Unseen Photos)
    I'm In Love With My Car (New Video Featuuring Archive Live Footage)
    You're My Best Friend (Promo Video)
    '39 (New Video Featuring Brian May's 2005 Performance At Sheffield, Archive Live Footage For Chorus, Plus 1960's Space Footage)
    Sweet Lady (New Video Featuring Archive Live Footage)
    Seaside Rendezvous (New Video Featuring Archive Live Footage)
    Prophets Song (New Video Featuring Mixture Of Archive Live Footage And Exclusive New Footage Of Brian May Playing The Toy Koto)
    Love Of My Life (New Video Featuring Mixture Of Archive Live Footage And Slow-motion Images)
    Good Company (New Video Featuring Archive Footage)
    Bohemian Rhapsody (Flames Promo Video)
    God Save The Queen (New Video Featuring Mixture Of Archie Live Footage And ''Party At The Palace'' Footage Of Brain May On The Roof)

Release/Despatch Date: Monday 31 Oct

2. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Instead of using live footage for the studio tracks, I'd rather they just issue the live versions. And instead of creating new videos, I'd rather they release the Innuendo videos. Still, I'll be sure to check this out.

3. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I hear ya Anthony, but ALOT of these tracks were never performed live, and also it's more for the DTS audio for the album itself and the video parts are just kind of a bonus. There should be some interesting footage here though might be unseen. I think they are going to do a Queen GVH3 dvd which will have the Innuendo, Made in Heaven and later Freddie-less tracks on it.

d

4. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    I'm not sure if those "videos" have been confirmed or not but assuming this is what we're getting, it's really F**@!^ing lame. These "videos" will be more of those awful Torpedo Twin clipfests.

The DTS album will basically be the same mix except for "God Save the Queen" (which from what I understand will only be mildly different as they found a couple more missing bits of that song.)

This screams laziness on the part of Queen, another shameless cash-in. Where are the demos? Alternate takes? etc etc etc etc. THIS is how they celebrate a landmark album?

Just more of the same from Queen.

5. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I hear ya, Michael but at least the price is VERY reasonable and since I never got the "Opera" DVD-A, it works for me. I too dislike the Toprpedo Twins style but is it confirmed that they will do it? Plus, there might be footage that we will NEVER get to see otherwise here. I know they did play "Death on two legs" and "Prophet's song" live so it might be interesting.
    Also between the musicals all over the world and the current tour, I think Roger and Brian have been kinda busy. And they DID release the superb Milton Keynes 2 dvd set less than a year ago as well. I think they still give WAY more for the $$$ than some bands. And they also have a live album and DVD of their current tour coming.

[​IMG]

6. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

You really should get the DVD-A too. The sound is absolutely incredible. [​IMG]

BTW, anyone have any news of what the next Queen DVD-A will be?

7. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I remember reading that A Day at the Races was going to be the next DVD-A but that was a while back...

8. andrew markworthy

???????????????????????????

Have a look at the care Queen have taken over the releases of their DVDs. At least they've made an effort to give fans a quality enhanced product. Think of other groups from the same period - what have they done? Absolutely zilch. So why this strange hostility towards Queen?

Returning to the thread, I think this looks far from shabby, and thanks for the heads up, Dave.

9. Manus

Manus Second Unit

I partially agree with Michael. Instead of wasting time reissuing something in dts which has already had a proper hi-rez release it would have been nicer to have a new Dvd-A release ( Sheer Heart Attack ? , Jazz ? or maybe even something from later in their catalogue ? )

They could then have issued Dvd-V Collection, perhaps, of video gems from ANATO and other albums ? Their strategy is a bit confusing.

I would have to agree , however , that unlike many other groups from the period ( Zeppelin, Floyd (why no DSOTM on Dvd-A or 'Pulse' on Dvd-V ?), their output is fairly prolific.

M

10. Brad P

Brad P Stunt Coordinator

Eh. I have four CD versions of this - 1991 Hollywood, '98 Crown Jewels box set version and the DCC Gold from 2000 (the best version there is, in my book), the existing DVD-A, and an Elektra vinyl, so this release don't excite me. At all.

I think they should work on upgrading the entire catalog on CD. And if they've already started, they should expedite the process. In the States, we're stuck having to buy a box set (which I admittedly found brand new for $35 on eBay) and expensive Japanese imports for anything after The Game.

Otherwise, we have to settle for the sonically-crappy 1991 Hollywood Records CDs. By the way, I know Freddie was still alive to approve those "bonus remixes," but holy hell - they're worthless.

11. Michael Allred

Michael

First, all one needs to do is look at their "Greatest Video Hits" DVDs and see how badly they mucked those up. If you get past the poor picture quality, the biggest mistake was cropping 1.33 videos into "fake" widescreen or look at some clips that were just flat out distorted like "A Kind of Magic." The Freddie tribute concert suffers from the faked widescreen effect as well. They clearly put more effort into the audio part of the DVDs while essentially ignoring the video. "Care"? "Quality enhanced"? Hardly.

Second, let's not pretend Queen's output is overwhelming. They've put out a grand total of 4 DVDs (the Freddie tribute isn't a Queen DVD and "We Will Rock You" was released by a different company.) That's four over 3 years (if I'm not mistaken.) There's the "Return of the Champions" DVD due in October but that's not "Queen" either as it's from their current tour with Paul Rodgers.

Third, the DVD-audio department has seen a whopping total of two albums over the course of 3 years with nothing else on the horizon (unless you count the lame "Opera" release that doesn't celebrate the album as much as cash-in on it's status.....(1960s space footage???????)

Fourth, they have a wealth of material they could choose to release but they sit on it. What about those box sets of achive material? Still collecting dust as we speak. Concerts still wanted by fans (just about anything from the mid to late 70s) are MIA because they apparently think there isn't a market for them. I guess the musical is the end all and be all eh? Can you believe Brian is so damn anxious to release the Budapest show on DVD which is from the SAME TOUR as the Wembley show. Hey, how about releasing the 82 and 85 Japan shows on DVD as a double feature? They've NEVER been officially released outside of that country.

Fifth, the endless re-releases and re-packaging. How many "Hits" albums are there now?

Do I need to go on?

12. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I completely agree with Michael's last post. I'm still waiting for the Archives box set #1...GVH3...they need to stop with the reissues, stop with all the dance remixes ("Flash vs. Vanguard," anyone?) and stop and think: on CD alone, "Bohemian Rhapsody" has been released at least nine times, probably more.

What was the point of that GH1 reissue last year? Two bonus tracks, one we already had and one we'd have in a few months?

13. Michael Allred

Michael

To help promote the musical in Las Vegas.....seriously.
    I don't think we'll see GVH3 until fall '06, that's assuming they don't release the musical on DVD (and it HAS been filmed.)

14. Brad P

Brad P Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure if GVH3 will be worth buying. There will really only be about three videos of substance (from Innuendo). The rest will surely be "dead guy montages." The fact that Innuendo videos weren't included on GVH2 kind of shows how greedy Queen Productions, Ltd. is. Seriously, it means I'm going to have to decide whether or not I want to shell out $25 for a set that will only include about three videos worth watching (four if they throw in the Wayne's World version of "Bohemian Rhapsody").

And yes, I'm quite pissed about the faux-widescreen treatment on the DVDs. As you have already stated, not only was "A Kind Of Magic" cropped, it was also oddly "smushed" so everyone looks fat.

15. Michael Allred

Michael

"Innuendo", "Headlong", "These Are the Days of Our Lives" and "I'm Going Slightly Mad" from the "Innuendo" album (excluding "The Show Must Go On" as it's just a clipshow.) "No One But You" and the "Made In Heaven" films produced by the BFI (regardless of what you think of them, they're a much better alternative to the DoRo crap.) Then of course you'll have the Queen+ clips whose worth is debatable...except for Queen and Elton for "The Show Must Go On" as it was the last time the surviving members of Queen performed together live.

Granted that's not a whole hell of a lot to be giddy over but I'd imagine Queen Productions wanted to release as many of the videos as possible and cramming all of the above on volume 2 just wouldn't have worked.

16. Brad P

Brad P Stunt Coordinator

Just my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt. I just don't like the song, that's all. Many do, and judging by where it peaked on the singles chart, I guess it does belong on a Queen compilation.

Call me quirky, but I'd take "Calling All Girls" (which wasn't a hit) over "Body Language" any day of the week.

17. andrew markworthy

Well, as you missed the point of my post totally, I guess so. [​IMG]

I was simply saying that at least they made an effort. Okay, you don't like it, fine, but they have still done more than most other acts of the same period. In other words, half a loaf is better than no loaf at all.

And yes, I agree that energy should be devoted to releasing the back catalogue rather than that tedious musical, but that's their decision, I guess. However, if it's any consolation, there have been persistent rumours in the UK music press that the next concert DVD will be the 1974 Christmas Eve show - in its entirety (I thought that only the second half of the concert - i.e. the bit that was broadcast by the BBC - survived).

18. TommyJD

TommyJD Stunt Coordinator

All of these tracks were performed live by Queen early on.As their song list grew they were never played again.I'm a tremendous fan of the early Queen and would also love to see concert DVDs of the Queen 2 through A Day At Races tours,all of which I attended in person.

19. Brad P

Brad P Stunt Coordinator

Well, this makes the fifth reissue of A Night At The Opera in the United States in fourteen years (and I'm being convervative by only counting U.S. releases). Since they're really not adding anything worthwhile to the "30th Anniversary Edition"), (I guess this is just my opinion), it's a bit much.

20. Michael Allred

Michael

No, I understood you. I merely disagreed with what you said and backed my statement up with facts.