What's new

New pure DSD SACD on the way! (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
From Stereophile web site...(also mentions new DVDA releases there)
On the SACD front, Columbia Records has revealed that original Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna guitarist Jorma Kaukonen has been working with an impressive cast of musicians to create his latest disc, Blue Country Heart, due in stores June 11. Colombia describes the collection as rural blues songs from the 1920s and 1930s, including tunes by Jimmie Rodgers, the Delmore Brothers, Larry Hensley, Washington Phillips, Cliff Carlisle, and Jimmie "The Singing Governor" Davis.
The sessions were captured in Direct Stream Digital for their subsequent release on SACD by producer Roger Moutenot at Masterlink studio. "We did 16 songs in four days," says Kaukonen. "The studio has one of those Nashville histories. They had fabulous equipment, the room is real beautiful sounding, and everything we did was completely acoustic. I used my 1936 Advanced Jumbo Gibson and Sam Bush had some mandolin from the '20s. Lord knows what Jerry Douglas had, there was a huge battery of vintage dobros on hand for the sessions. Byron House was playing a standup bass that was over 100 years old and Bela Fleck came in with a banjo from the late '30s. So we had a bunch of vintage acoustic instruments and we just went in and set up, got comfortable in the room, and played. And I never wore headphones once during the session. It was just like sitting and playing at home."
Sony Music's Leslie C. Cohen adds that the disc is one of only a handful of recordings currently on the market originally recorded with DSD technology. "The beauty of DSD is that it enables you to hear the totality of the performance captured during the recording process—the impact is visceral—it brings the listener that much closer to the intent of the artist while rekindling that sense of excitement and wonder you felt hearing your first live performance."
It will be interesting to see what Sony can do in pure DSD recording. Here we should be able to hear all that Super Audio is capable of, although people like Ed Meitner are always improving chips, mastering, and else in the A-to-D and D-to-A processes.
In the new Stereophile, Mike Fremer, analog hero to many, mentions a the Alisson Krauss "New Favorite" album, done in DSDA format, in other words LP from DSD recording chain. Interesting!
:)
Lee

SteveRS

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, gimme sum mo blues!

If it can sound better than Keb Mo sacd, bring it on!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Death Don't Have No Mercy In This Land, yea I likes TUNA! It's delicious and nutrious. The Very Tall Band by Oscar Petersen, Ray Brown, and Milt Jackson is DSD all the way too. What other titles are? :) Best wishes!

TomK

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have the list of the titles that are/were recorded in DSD?

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
One of my favorite, if not my very favorite, sounding SACDs is Volodos' performance of Rachmaninoff's 3rd Piano Concerto. Clicking on the link Marc provided, it says that it was done via DSD. Coincidence? Probably not.

All the classical DSD stuff is very exciting. That site says that there are or will be DSD SACDs for Mozart's Requiem, Holst's Planets, and Vivaldi's Four Seasons, some of my favorite music. I drool in anticipation.

I never cared much for Jefferson Airplane, but that disc looks interesting, and I may get it if I see it.

NP: California Guitar Trio, Rocks the West[/I[, CD

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
In the new Stereophile, Mike Fremer, analog hero to many, mentions a the Alisson Krauss "New Favorite" album, done in DSDA format, in other words LP from DSD recording chain. Interesting!
Lee, I don't quite follow here. Are you saying that the new Alison Krauss can be found on SACD or are you saying they used this technology only to produce an LP? I'm not sure how the DSDA format differs from SACD. Please help in the translation as I am a huge fan of Alison's work and would love to get this new release on SACD as her solo album "Forget About It" sounds great on this format and is already a part of my collection.

Thanks.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Evan,
No problem, here's the deal...They recorded in pure DSD format, then they cut a master for the LP - the "A" in "DSDA".
So you have the high resolution of the SACD format but the ability to capture the fun and dynamics of analog playback.
Mikey Fremer likes it! :)
Lee
NP: Indigo Girls, Becomes You...in glorious Super Audio!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks