What's new

new punisher movie.... (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I really like Thomas Jane and think that he could be a good punisher. However, I think he is too young to portray him. In the books now he is a grizzled and worn man pissed at the world. The only person I can think of being close to right for him would be Kurt Russell, but his voice isnt gravelly enough for Frank Castle, but his look could be.
I am holding out hope, as Marvel Films is on a hot streak with me right now, but the teaser for this looked HORRIFYING. I hope this comes out and kicks our ass bad, and it damn well better be R, as a PG13 Punisher flick sounds pretty lame. They need to make a movie of the Ennis/Dillon limited series. I would love to see Frank smother a russian assassin using his 400 lb neighbor Mr Bumbo. That would rule!

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
The movie is supposedly being inspired by the Ennis/Dillon issues, and I'm pretty sure I read that Mr. Bumpo is in the story. The question is whether the filmmakers understand that the Ennis stuff works because it's a dark, cartoonish comedy, and not just the usual Dirty Harry/Death Wish routine played straight, which is what the Punisher comics used to be.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I really like Thomas Jane and think that he could be a good punisher. However, I think he is too young to portray him.
He's 34, which is about the right age to be starting as the Punisher.

Anyone know if they're setting this movie in the 80s? You kind of have to if you want him to be a 'Nam vet.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Principal photography starts today, and here's some good news: Roy Scheider just joined the cast.

Thomas Jane, John Travolta, Roy Schieder, Rebecca Romijn-Stamos, Laura Elena Harring, Will Patton, Samantha Mathis, Ben Foster...

That's a damn good cast.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Thomas Jane, John Travolta, Roy Schieder, Rebecca Romijn-Stamos, Laura Elena Harring, Will Patton, Samantha Mathis, Ben Foster...

That's a damn good cast.
It is, although I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around the fact that Rebecca Romijn-Stamos, one of the most gorgeous women on the planet, is playing a mousy plain Jane character. I just don't get Hollywood :)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I have a hard time taking Travolta serious as well, which worked for him as Castor Troy in Face Off.

Regardless, I'm still jazzed about the fantastic cast.

Dan Shogren

Stunt Coordinator
THE PUNISHER! YEAH! LETS ROCK AND ROOLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!! WOOT WOOT!!!!!!!!

I cant wait for this movie. I thought the teaser looked great!

John Doran

Screenwriter
but seriously - what are the chances they're going to make a movie that is even remotely of the tenor of ennis' current version of the character?

i mean, if you've read the comic, it's really, really raw, you know? it's just brutal. i mean, ennis' punisher makes the saint of killers look like a panty-waist...almost. :)

and it's also the only version of the punisher that i have ever really enjoyed.

i'm not asking whether or not they're going to make a movie that tracks the comic frame-by-frame or anything - i couldn't care less about that. i am just curious if they'll make a punisher that even feels like ennis' frank castle.

now that would be a movie.

FredK

Second Unit
The Punisher is my #1 comic and I've got the lowest expectations for this movie.

But...

Over at SHH it's being discussed that the punisher being filmed looks nothing like the teaser. New costume work, black hair, and a built up actor to top it off.

So I'm a little more excited. I don't made a change in scenery but I really wish they'd have gone for an 80's timeframe, Frank's past had a lot to do with who he became, not just the killing of his family. Hopefully it's apparent in the film.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
[rant]NO WAY!![/rant] The comic character was only about 6' & Lundgren was too tall for starters.

I think Jane can pull this one off, he's pretty athletic. All they really need to do is give him a more haggard facial look. Also, they MUST die his hair black! I just don't like the idea of a blonde Punisher.

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator
Over at SHH it's being discussed that the punisher being filmed looks nothing like the teaser. New costume work, black hair, and a built up actor to top it off.
phew...and I was like, "but...but, he's blonde and prissing-looking!"

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Bad-ass indeed! Jane does look pumped up now, so that's a good thing. I'll definitely be there when it opens up.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Holy shit!!!! :D I have several dishes of crow ready to be served to everyone who doubted Thomas Jane's ability to pull off the role :D Great trailer!

John Doran

Screenwriter
well, i dunno. looks a little too hollywood-ish to me. and even though i love travolta in certain roles (chili palmer) and as a person, i can't take him seriously as a villain. at all.

i wonder how they're going to handle the Russian (the big blonde guy with the red-and-white striped t-shirt); as ennis wrote him in the comic, he's almost indestructible (he kicks the shit out of the punisher and then out of spiderman). and then he gets a boob-job....

but that's another story.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Good looking trailer, I must admit. Harkens back to the 80's action trash. Good stuff.

Anyone have some good (cheap, I'll take a TPB) Punisher numbers for the Ennis run? I haven't seen a Punisher comic since the awesome Jim Lee War Journal and Portacio "The Substitute" run back in the day. I even have the Mike Zeck painted cover Limited series from the mid-80's...but the Ennis stuff sounds good.

This might not be that bad. Jane looks good.

Take care,
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks