New PT Anderson film greenlit, shooting in May '06

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Nick C., Jan 18, 2006.

1. Nick C.

Nick C. Second Unit

Fantastic news concerning one of the finest auteurs working today...

2. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Excellent news.

But has Paramount started another new division? Paramount Classics has been around for 7 years. Not exactly a "new" division.

3. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

Great news. PTA is certainly one of the more fascinating filmmakers operating at the moment, and I'll certainly be following it with interest. Subject matter seems a bit surprising, not something I would have expected, but it will be fun to see, and it certainly sounds like there is scope for a good story in there.

4. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Fantastic news! PTA is one of my favorite film makers. Maybe this well prompt New Line to re-release "Hard Eight" as a special edition.

5. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Actually, Hard Eight is a Columbia Tri-Star release.

I'm extremely anxious to see this film, and it's great to see PTA change direction yet again.

I'm expecting to see antoher fantastic film from him with memorable perforamnces.

6. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell

Maybe this well prompt Columbia Tri-Star to re-release "Hard Eight" as a special edition.

I'm under the impression that this film was taken away and re-cut (from what I recall from the Boogie Nights commentary), and that the current DVD is less than stellar (I don't own it, and only rented the VHS once). This sounds like a good opportunity to get it done right (if this is in fact the case).

7. Nick C.

Nick C. Second Unit

My thoughts exactly. If he can turn Adam Sandler into an 'actor', he can do anything. Also terrific news for DDL, who seems to come of reclusion for only special occasions these days.

8. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

I can't believe he actually got Daniel Day-Lewis. I see a classic in the making.

Regards,
    Nathan

9. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

The current Hard Eight DVD is swimming with compression artifacts -- not a pretty encoding job. But if it got a re-release with PTA approval, it would certainly be renamed "Sydney", which is everyone's preferred title. I think they were forced to change it to "Hard Eight" by the studio?

Anyway, this is interesting news. PTA is one of those directors who provokes me both positively and negatively, but I respect his work and never find it boring (in other words, the best kind of provacateur). What really excites me is Eric Schlosser's involvement.

10. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Amazing news!

I thought Daniel Day Lewis retired from acting?

This is going to be a great movie!

11. Nick C.

Nick C. Second Unit

I don't think he ever said anything about retiring. He just chooses rather selectively, like coming out of reclusion for Scorsese, then his wife.

12. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    anything by pta is a must see for me. i liked punch drunk love quite a bit, really liked sydney, loved magnolia, but boogie nights is my favorite film.

CJ

13. Nick C.

Nick C. Second Unit