new psycho dvd availible? (spoilers for the few that never saw it)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan L B, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

it now is in a pinkish purple cover. If it is the same version, then they should restore the widescreen print since it looks like shit, put it in anamorphic, do a restored from original elements remaster 5.1 (like for halloween, dont remix it, just spread it around 5 channels) and also, please make this a 2 disc set and dont spoil it for the kids. like if my kids (when i get them atleast) want to watch this movie, i dont want them to already know that Janet Leigh dies in the shower. It would make it more scary for them even though every body knows what happens

2. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

3. Ryan L B

it aint that bad, i thought it should be pg at the worst, plus my parents saw it at a young age before ratings, plus it is good to give 6 or 7 year olds there first nightmare right,

4. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

Fair enough [​IMG]

5. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

I've always thought the re-rating of R for Psycho was a little much. There's no profanity or sex, so I guess that leaves the murder scenes. I would have thought PG-13 at best.
    But I am 99.9% sure it's the exact same disc.

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Psycho is meant for mono presentation and never 5.1.
    The current DVD probably looks excellent. I've seen the matted widescreen transfer used for the DVD on AMC and it looks stunning. Not bad for a film with no surviving original negative. [​IMG] Ryan, you probably saw the 4:3 transfer made prior to the new transfer which does look pretty bad. (Missing part of the cool opening credits, too.)
    The reason why mono is manditory is because Alfred Hitchcock meant the film to have a claustrophobic and low-budget feel to it. 5.1 would serve really no purpose. I think even the 2.0 mono track has been cleaned up, so it sounds just about as good as it can.
    I would like an anamorphic version, but it's probably a great non-anamorphic transfer.

7. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Psycho, which I proudly proclaim as my favorite film of all time, is one where I'd be seriously apprehensive of a 5.1 remix. I think the score and sound design was overseen by Hitchcock for maximum effect and efforts to modernize it would probably be futile.

8. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

The transfer on the current PSYCHO disc looks fine to my eyes, and is better than any version of it I'd seen previously. I think the mono presentation is fine too. With regards to a 5.1 mix, what would they do with it? Have the running water in the shower scene gurgle up in surround sound? PSYCHO is what it is, and any attempt to remix it really would be taking already-made creative decisions out of the hands of Hitchcock. No thanks.

I watched some of Van Sant's PSYCHO'98 on the TV the other day. Now THAT is an absolutely stinking pile of foul-smelling, rancid horseshit. (IMHO...)

9. Ryan L B

no the widescreen version has scratches galore, and the 2.0 mono has a few pops here and there especally during the scene where norman explains about his mother to marion. I thought that it would be extra scary if it was loud but you cant turn the volume up loud because of distortion in the original soundtrack.

10. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

The print used for the transfer has scratches during the start of the opening credits, but after that it's practically spotless!

11. JohnJB

JohnJB Stunt Coordinator

I have the current region 1 edition with IMO typical poor non anamorphic transfer, I've heard the UK region 2 is anamorphic, can someone confirm this please, also can they confirm that the fabulous 80 minute documentary is missing from the region 2

12. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

The R2 edition is indeed anamorhic, like Vertigo R2, but unlike Vertigo R2, it doesn't have the extra's of its R1 counterpart. Well, it does have the trailer presented by Hitch, but certainly not the documentary.

The documentary was the reason that I bought the R1 version, but I'm seriously considering buying the R2/R4 version too.

13. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    My suspicion of this otherwise acceptable transfer is that it's overmatted. I believe the film was intended to be seen at 1.66:1, which would explain why many shots seem cramped and are missing information seen on the P&S laser edition.

14. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Just to interrupt for a second, why does the disc retail for 29.99? That's way too expensive for me.

15. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The OAR is 1.85:1, indeed.

It makes sense since all of Hitchcock's films made after Vertigo were shot for 1.85:1 (with the exception of North By Northwest, which was shot for 1.55:1-1.96:1 variable VistaVision, reccomended for 1.75:1)

Psycho looks SO much better when matted...it really enhances the compositions.

16. JohnJB

JohnJB Stunt Coordinator

Mark_vdH

thanks I've e-bayed my region 1 & ordered the Region 2 (the region 1 x's were superb but I have a rule about not owning more than one copy of a movie, unless unavoidable due to packaging, and anamorphic win's every time with my 56" RPTV, I'm ultimately a film fan not an extras fan.

also while I was deciding on region 2 or 4 (Australia), I discovered (for anybody that's interested) a 2:35 anamorphic (again unlike region 1, I see a trend here) version of Heaven's Gate on Region 4, oh yeah!

17. Danny_N

Danny_N Second Unit

The R2 of Psycho may be anamorphic but it does not have a better picture than the R1, I actually found it worse. It is (probably) not a true anamorphic transfer but an interpolation from the NTSC master. I had the R2, sold it and kept my R1 with all the nice extra's [​IMG]. Vertigo R2 otoh does look better than its R1 counterpart.