What's new

New PS2 owner with Genre question (1 Viewer)

Chris Lanni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christopher
My wife has made the misfortune of buying me a Playstation 2 for Christmas. She was able to get one of the bundles that came with Rachet and Clank. I am in love with the game and love playing that Genre of games. Problem is that I don't know what other games are out there for the PS2 that are exactly like Ratchet and Clank. Anyone?

P.S. My wife, who claims she didn't like consoles, is now addicted to Ratchet and Clank.

Gods Love
Chris

GaryP

Second Unit
Chris,
Jak & Daxter would fit the bill nicely. For a different twist I'd recommend Sly Cooper, a nice cel-shaded platformer that mixes in some stealth elements. Those two titles should hold you over nicely for a while. Another title that I forget about, which was beloved during the Dreamcast era, is Rayman 2, which can be had for $20 these days. You may want to hold off a bit on that one as the third installemnt of this series is due sometime in March I believe.

Gary

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I've been playing Jak & Daxter with my son.. we like it so far.

Jak & Daxter was created by the same people who brought you Crash Bandicoot... you may want to look into that one as well. Although I've had trouble finding it. My son loved the PS1 Crash Bandicoot games if you want to revert back to some of those.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Jak & Daxter, which was crafted by the same development team as Ratchet & Clank
You sure of that? I thought they shared an engine, but hte content was done by different companies. Either way, it's a good suggestion, and it should be cheap.

GaryP

Second Unit
Brian,
You are indeed correct sir, R&C was developed by Insomniac rather than Naughty Dog. Bth had sold off their franchise mascots (Crash and Spyro respectively) to Universal, hence my confusion ;)
Gary

Chris Lanni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christopher
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I took some of the advice and bought Jak & Daxter since it is a greatest hit and only cost $20.
I was also intrigued by the brief hint at playing some of the ps1 games brought about by GaryP and Dave. Taking this to the next level, what are some good platformers, like Ratchet and Clank, that are, or were, available for the ps1?
P.S. I solved Ratchet and Clank(before the wife) and I must give much credit to Insomniac for the best gaming experience I have ever had.:emoji_thumbsup:
Chris

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Chris:
First off, the genre you seek is called "Platformer." Godfathers of the platformer genre include Mario and Sonic.
Ratchet and Clank is, indeed, a brilliant game. Now that you solved it you can go back and get some gold weapons, right? ;)
As far as PS1 games, you could check out Spyro, as it was made by the same developer. Crash Bandicoot is good as well.
Rayman 2 is great (it's a PS2 title), as is Sly Cooper.
You might want to check out Kingdom Hearts. It's more of an action RPG (role playing game), but it's a great game.
Enjoy.

Chris Lanni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christopher
JoshF,
Thanks!!!
Now when you say that Kingdom Hearts is an action RPG, what exactly is the difference between, say, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance? Isn't that also an RPG. What do you mean by action RPG? Sorry if this should be obvious. Just pretend that I am your newly adopted son.;)
As for Ratchet and Clank, I have one golden weapon that I actually bought before finishing the game. The golden Glove of Doom. What a magnificent piece. I am still playing Ratchet and Clank but am eager as to what's out there that I have missed.
Chris

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Chris: Yes, Baldur's Gate is also an RPG. In fact, it's also an action RPG. RPG just means that you take control of a character and have vast control over his stats, allowing you to develop the character in different ways with different abilities, weapons, skills, magic, etc.

The "action" in Action RPG means that battles occur in real-time rather than by command-driven turns as in games like Final Fantasy.

Hope that helps.

paul h

Supporting Actor
You should have a great time with Jak & Daxter! Other platformers worth checking out on the PS2 are Klonoa2 and if you like the idea of Ghosts n Goblins in 3d then try Maximo. Also Haven has got decent reviews and Ty The Tasmanian Tiger.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Here is an older game for the PS1 that used all the buttons on the PSX on the Dual Shock Controller - Ape Escape.
This was a very fun game with a good but easy to learn controls, loads of cute monkeys to catch, and of course a fun hero in Spike.
You should be able to find it in stores in the used game section or look for it new online...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks