New PS2 locks up on Vice City

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Travis Olson, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I just got a PS2 today to play Vice City and it locks up and makes a clicking noise when loading radio stations in game. It doesn't happen every time though, only about every 15-45 minutes. Needless to say I'm disgusted. [​IMG]

I haven't tried any other games with it yet as Vice City is the only game I have so far. The game is also new. I'm going to rent some games tomorrow and see how that goes, but I figure if it is making a clicking noise it's most likely the unit itself. But it only makes the noise on lockup so it's hard to say. Anyone else experienced this with a new system or GTA: VC in general?

2. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    The system may make a clicking noise like that when it's trying to read a defective disc and can't align the laser. I've had defective discs cause noises like that before. (The disc may be OK on startup, but have problems in areas that get read later in the game.)

Rent another game and see what happens. (Although you may end up with a scratched disc when you rent! If the store where you got Vice City is closer, it might be worth it to just try exchanging the disc instead.)

Good luck!

3. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    Yep, turned out to be the game. I rented another copy as well as a few other games and they work perfect. That's a sigh of relief, I can't even imagine how long it would have taken Sony to fix it and get it back to me.

4. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Travis: If you got the PS2 "today," you should have been able to return it to the store from which you bought it, no?