New projector

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rick Westfall, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Rick Westfall

Rick Westfall Stunt Coordinator

My HT construction question in the other forum has turned into this topic, so I figured I should start the topic here.

I'm looking at one of two ideas. Home Theater Store has the 65" Diamond Series Mits on sale for $2999. As you probably know, that's the top o' the line with integrated HDTV tuner.

If my budget stays the same, I need suggestions on where to start looking at projectors. I've considered a DIY screen, but if my lazy streak hits I'll probably just go ahead and buy one. So, assuming a decent screen and projector...what brands should I begin looking at for $3K.

Thanks
    Rick

2. Jon Oliva

Jon Oliva Agent

I'm looking in the under $2500 price range and two new dlps are just hitting the market: the Toshiba MT700 and the BenQ 7700. They are 1280x720p DLPs with the HD2+ chip. 1000 lumens and >2000:1 Contrast ratio. I would check them out. www.projectorcentral.com has some decent info/commentary to get started.

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Rick, if you want HD, you should also check into the Sanyo Z3, Panasonic 700, Sony HS51(this may be over $2500).

4. Jon Oliva

Jon Oliva Agent

Those are three good options from the LCD world. The sony should definately be over $2500 I think.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Guys, let's talk about this subject here in Display Devices. As for sending someone off to AVS Forum, why not direct him to appropriate or related threads here at Home Theater Forum?

6. Rick Westfall

Rick Westfall Stunt Coordinator

Oops sorry about picking the wrong forum. Thanks for the redirect.

Rick

7. Jon Oliva

Jon Oliva Agent

Jack - sorry about that, it was kind of rude of me. I was only trying to help, and I hadn't seen many detailed PJ threads over here at first glance (haven't checked the board in a few). My bad.

Edit - fixed for ya [​IMG]

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Sharp XVs2000, Sanyo Z3, Panasonic L700U, BenQ 7700 all native 720p for starters.

9. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

Some great deals going on out on the web for the Sharp Matterhorn DLP units. The DT-300(short throw) and XV-Z200(long throw) are showing up online for south of $1900. These units originally sold for around $3k.

Granted they are only EDTV, but don't be too quick to discount these units. There is not a huge difference between 576p and 720p. Plus these DLPs have lens shift making set-up easier which is not featured on any of the new low-cost DLP units.

700 ANSI Lumens
    2000:1 ON/OFF CR
    LENS SHIFT
    5x 6-segment CW
    DVI-HDCP
    16:9
    210W/168W 4000hr bulb
    Sleek looking design (not your typical projector box)

These are great bargains right now. I bought my DT-300 in September for $2600. Sure wish I would have waited [​IMG]

10. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

The Sony HS51 is a great projector and can be found for under $ 2,800 on line. If you pair it up with a Carada screen you won't be too far over your budget. The DLP's are very nice too but make sure you see one in action before you buy. The rainbows bothered me on the Optoma H77 I demo' d. Other than that it had a good picture. My HS51 is on it's way and I'm probably going with the Carada brilliant white 96" diag. screen. I can't wait!
    Good luck with whatever you decide to go with and keep us posted.