What's new

New projector recommendations, please... (1 Viewer)

rossra

Auditioning
Real Name
Russ
Hello all, hope this finds you having a great day/night (depending on where you are). I am looking for recommendations on a new projector. I am a novice when i comes to this stuff. Basically, I am looking for the best projector for sporting events and movies. Don't watch much TV shows or everyday TV. I will binge watch things on occasion.

I had a Cinego projector (yes, I know.....). I bought it in 2004 and it just crapped out on me so now I am looking for something under $3,000 preferred. I know that anything i buy will be an upgrade for what I am used to.... I have a dedicated room, pitch black. variable controlled lighting, full Klipsch system (center, front r, front l, 2 in ceiling on each side, 2 surround rear, 1 sub 12") pushed by Onkyo TX-NR818. Thanks for any advice you may share.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
For (just) under $3K, the Epson 5050UB is probably your best bet, especially if you want good (albeit pixel-shifting) 4K and the flexibility it offers, eg. substantial lens zoom and shifting w/ lens memory, which are very helpful both for installation and to handle zooming for different aspect ratios, if you want to maintain constant image height (CIH) or some other approach.

IF you can wait some for a sale, you could probably save upto ~$500 (or maybe more) off the $3K MSRP. Epson has been periodically offering significant discounts, and a dealer like Parker Gwen often offers additional discounts, especially for new customers (plus they don't charge sales tax for delivery to most states). I was able to buy mine a few months ago for ~$2400 shipped that way.

IF you actually need to save some more, maybe consider the next lower model 4050UB for what seems like very modest downgrade that you might not notice the diff in practice.

In any case, do make sure to buy from a dealer that's known to have good customer service in case a return is needed. Based on user feedback, Epson PJs do seem a fair bit more susceptible to dust blobs getting into the lens or light path... even w/ brand new units, so you'll probably want a hassle-free return policy just in case.

_Man_

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I would second @ManW_TheUncool 's recommendation. I have the pro model of this projector [6050UB] and it is about as good as you're going to get in this price range. The 5050UB is essentially the same projector so you will not be disappointed.

SmCaudata

Agent
Real Name
TJ
The new LG cinnebeam looks really nice for sub $3k. It's a laser DLP projector meaning no lamp replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seann Luopa