new projector around $5000CAD (approx $3500-$4000US)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by david stark, Jul 4, 2004.

1. david stark

david stark Second Unit

Hi all.

I've been kicking around this forum for a couple of years now, just not in this particular section really. Anyways the time has come to finally buy a projector and as the thread title suggests I'm looking to spend about $5000 Canadian (at current exchange rates that comes in at around $3800 US dollars).

What I'm looking for:

native 16:9 projector (I'll mainly be using it for DVD's + HDTV)
    2 sets of component inputs (one for dvd + one for HDTV)
    probably dlp, but could be persuaded to go LCD.
    I'll be able to squeeze in a 100" diagonal 16:9 screen

I have also seen screens can be very expensive (over $2000 CAD) so I'll initially be either picking up a cheap screen or projecting onto a wall for a few months before buying a decent screen (point being that my initial budget does not include screen, but suggestions welcomed for later purchase).

Any suggestions at what to look at? One of my local dealers does sharp and another does infocus so I'll probably be looking in there to get a demo of what they have available.

thanks for any help...

2. frank g.

frank g. Auditioning

The infocus 5700 would be an ideal candidate to your requirements. I am not sure about the (2) sets of component inputs but with most people using video switchers in there receivers or pre-pro,s this should not be a problem. Tons of light output and fantastic reviews on this unit. I have personally compared this projector with a sharp 12000 hd2+ and even though I cant say the two of them are exactly in the same league (the sharp is also twice the price)the picture quality is remarkably close. The infocus is also right in your price range.

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

For a bit more ($6000 CDN or so plus tax) you could get a Benq 8700+. 1280x720 DLP with 5x color wheel.

Or you could get an NEC HT1000, probably for $5,000 CDN, as it is discontinued. 1024x768 (4:3) with 4x color wheel. Yeah, it's 4x3, but you could just not use those extra pixels, or later add a Panamorph anamorphic lens. [​IMG]

You should be able to get a 1280x720 LCD projector like a Sanyo PLV-Z2 or an Epson 500. Likely be under $3500 for either one.

The prices are just guestimates BTW.

4. Lee Distad

Lee Distad Stunt Coordinator

We just unboxed and set this unit up at work last week:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/video/LPX510.htm

It's definetely a crisp, bright, colourful unit, even at a 147" screen size that we're using in our showroom.

Yamaha Canada's msrp is $5499.00

5. david stark

david stark Second Unit

Cheers for the suggestions so far.

Frank - I didn't think the infocus 5700 would be in budget, but it looks as if it may just sneak in so I'll definitely check that one out since there is a dealer not too far away.

Max - the $5k is really a limit, well I could go a few hundred over, but not $1k or I'll end up spending $15k...

Max/Lee - I'll have a look round and see if I can see one of the sanyo/epson/yamaha ones since I would like to compare LCD to DLP.

6. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

If you have the option of going CRT front projection, you should be able to get into the really nice 8" EM focus machines that are comparable or better than the Sharp 12000 in that price range. Ones to look at would be NEC XG series, Sony G70, Marquee 8500LC to name a few.

Matt

7. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The bad thing about FPTV crt's is that they are very large and need TLC to get them to look their best.

The Epsons are lacking in sufficient grayscale controls so calibration may be problematic.

Few Projectors have multiple component inputs. Use a component switcher ... you want as few cables as possible going to the projector.

(Max, where is the 8700+ going for $6K? I see the 8700 going for $5850.)

Regards

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

A few weeks ago Memory Express here in Calgary had a special on Benq 8700's for $6K. The special is over ($6,500). You can look it up on their website, the URL of which is, surprise: www.memoryexpress.com

I visited Memory Express and they had the HD2+ versions (I checked the serial numbers). But they seemed to be very very early builds. Also, I did not look at the serial number directly, the drone at the counter did, so he may not have remembered it correctly. [​IMG]

I didn't buy from them because they could not demo it in a proper environment. They had blank stares when I told them one of their managers said (in email) I could have a demo. Projecting onto a wall with customers all over the place is NOT my idea of a demo. They also don't take returns, and basically if something went wrong I'm forced to deal with Benq. NO DEAL!

I found a much better price and ordered from an outfit in Ontario...unfortunately the delivery will be delayed because of some silly warehouse mixup. Grrrr. The price was very good, better than the one you quoted Michael. I was assured it was the 8700+ (plus) version too.

9. david stark

david stark Second Unit

CRT is not really an option, I'm living in a rented apartment at the moment and the crt's are too bug, plus I don't want to go making any holes in the ceiling to mount it.

The other thing is that none of the stores I've looked in have crt's for demo and I'm a bit unwilling to buy blind or on recommendations alone.

As for multiple inputs I think I will have 4 in total (dvd, hdtv, vcr, ps2). I think the vcr will go s-video, ps2 - composite and currently the dvd and hdtv are component. I have seen some component to dvi converters, but I believe these only work if the dvi input accepts analogue as well as digital, something I'll have to look into more.

Is there a reason for that except for neatness? I always steered clear of switchers of any sort unless absolutely necessary, I was always of the opinion that they would lower quality. I shelved out a lot for my cables and then to stick them through a black box I thought would degrade the signal unless you paid a lot for said black box.

10. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Add to that, some cables do not like long runs. Particularly S-video ...

If you set up the system correctly, there is pretty much no way you can see a difference between direct and through a switcher ...

Regards

11. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

you should be able to get a benq 7800 for 3k or less. it is native 16:9, 1024 by 576, 5x wheel, and i think it has both a component and a dvi input...

12. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

The benq 7800 sounds like a good deal! You sure it has a 5x color wheel though? Also, is the 3K in Canadian dollars?

13. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings,

The 7800 is selling around the $3999 mark in Canada. US price was around $2799 from one of the stores there.

REgards

14. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

15. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Wow, that's the first time I've seen a projector spec from a manufacturer that quotes a refresh rate.

I am shocked.